The Year that Stood Still: Instagram’s Non-Fiction Still Life Photography Movement

In the first coronavirus lockdown of 2020, we became obsessed with washing our hands, sanitising our groceries, and arranging each and every individual petal in a stunning swell of blooming flowers into still life photographs, dabbing on dewy jewels of water with an eyedropper and balancing taxidermied insects precariously on buds and leaves.

It’s possible that some of us did that last activity more than others.

I think it really started with Jamie Beck, an American photographer living in Provence. Faced with the cancellation of shows and jobs, she committed to a photo a day during lockdown. It was the beginning of the #IsolationCreation series, and it unleashed unimaginable beauty into the world. Most (not all) of Beck’s photos were delicately displayed still life masterpieces, using whatever flora was growing around her locally, nestled into glassware or built stem-by-stem and leaf-by-leaf with an assortment of construction tricks (and, as we would all come to learn, a bit of Photoshop).

This photographic movement picked up speed, and Instagram exploded with sumptuous celebrations of seasonality, flowers, and an Old World aesthetic that led to us all scouring antique stores and charity shops for props.

I eagerly put together my first still life in March of 2020, not many days after the start of the #IsolationCreation Instagram trend. Up to this point, my camera had been a means of documenting life around me, in a fairly normal way – family photos, holiday views, and the occasional artsy snap. If photography is a type of non-fiction, I was doing the equivalent of summative journal entries (with the odd poem in the margins).

I was rather stunned into disappointment when that first still life of mine looked like a pile of flaming crap (I deleted the pictures in a stroppy rage). I didn’t appreciate how little I knew about this craft. I have an obsessive nature, so naturally I obsessed. Over a long spring and summer during which I googled the fuck out of ‘how to take/create/edit painterly still life photographs’, and pushed myself to create as much as a working mum can, I got to a place of amateur understanding with the genre.

I have also mused on two things with regard to the non-fiction nature of this type of photography:

The first is that some types of photography will never neatly fit into the binary categories of fiction and non-fiction, just as creative non-fiction plays that same game. Whether a single photograph can ever be a true act of nonfiction, I don’t have the time or space to explore here. But most still life photography straddles a magical boundary in which very real and tangible objects are so purposefully crafted into scenes that are almost a slice of life. The viewer is seeing a floral arrangement in a vase, or a fruit bowl on a table, so ordinary as to have been something which one has wandered past and almost not noticed. In truth, the photographer has painstakingly inched each dropped petal to the right place, pinned leaves into beautifully curling leading lines, and coaxed the flowers to turn towards the light. They have brushed olive oil highlights onto the grapes, torn open a clementine in such a way as to showcase every juicy aril, and have ensured all elements have been considered within the frame.

Yet.

Those intricate choices made by the photographer are almost always to tell the viewer an authentic story. The stories that arose out of the #IsolationCreation images were tales from all over the world, expressing the angst of lockdown through curated things and celebrating the cyclical changing of the seasons in a world that seemed to be unchangingly treacherous. It was a feeling of conveying a non-fictional mood and moment, but through a quasi-fictional means.

Placing every item so intentionally reminds me of the preciseness that comes when writing short or flash narrative. Rather than an economy of words, the still life photographer works with an economy of objects. A writer of non-fiction is obviously unable to include all the facts and feelings of life within their word space; the sense of reality or authenticity comes from the author due to their arrangement of fragments of the ‘whole story’. The still life photographer must similarly arrange their composition with this sense of intention.

And at the end of the day, these constructions mostly exist. Yes, Photoshop comes into play – post-processing in still life photography is like the writer editing for grammar. It adds polish and enhances the image.

The second point to note is that the medium of Instagram is something special. I am eternally grateful to the wealth of Instagram photographers like Jamie Beck who not only shared their art, but also their process. They filled Instagram stories with behind-the-scenes peeks into many steps of their photography, from the selection of each prop to the tools that keep it all together (museum wax! flower frogs!). I learned more from Instagram stories about using Photoshop in post-processing than I ever did in a tutorial. As they say, ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’. As artists began to document and share their post-processing techniques, I learned more about what was possible to achieve (and I have mentally stored away many other tidbits of knowledge until I’m good enough to need them).

I mention this because it is an extension of the non-fictionality of this movement. The photographs were not the only art which people pushed out into the universe. For many of the artists in the #IsolationCreation fold, it was (and now is, as standard) an integral part of production. A reality show, of sorts, linking each photograph, and just as carefully curated as the composition. Each snippet lets us in on another delicious detail of the authorial intention. Do we mind that they are stories told with the voices of unreliable narrators? I am not sure we do; after all, we, too, are on Instagram, unreliably fabricating a creative non-fictive persona of ourselves. We are simply editing ourselves for a specific audience, telling only the truths that matter to that particular plot.

Guest Author

Dr Rose Guy received her doctorate from the University of Chichester in 2017, for her thesis exploring the food details in literary fairy tales. She now works in university student support, and fits in creative pursuits wherever possible.

1. 1 November, 2021 / 12:41 am

I’m still learning from you, but I’m making my way to the top as well. I certainly love reading all that is posted on your website.Keep the aarticles coming. I loved it!

2. 14 November, 2021 / 4:39 pm

It?¦s in point of fact a great and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

3. 15 December, 2021 / 9:23 pm

Great wordpress blog here.. It’s hard to find quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate people like you! take care

4. 5 February, 2022 / 6:20 am

Glimpse upon the idea within a lot similar manner when you would likely in case you were being building an not online jacksonville seo small business, which will, as a way to become sucessful, needs responsibility plus a good approach from the particular canceled out, using short pay back while in the first days to weeks.

5. 14 February, 2022 / 12:06 am

It?¦s actually a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

6. 14 February, 2022 / 1:29 am

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again

7. 4 March, 2022 / 8:04 am

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the subject and found most individuals will consent with your blog.

8. 17 March, 2022 / 10:05 pm

Appreciate it for helping out, excellent information. “Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.” by Tallulah Bankhead.

9. 18 March, 2022 / 6:30 am

I just couldn’t go away your website prior to suggesting that I actually loved the usual info an individual provide in your guests? Is gonna be back often in order to check up on new posts.

10. 17 April, 2022 / 10:40 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the great works guys I’ve included you guys to my personal blogroll.

11. 20 May, 2022 / 9:14 am

You can choose one, two, or three screensaver settings for picture, sounds, and background music. The choice is all yours!
    Easy-to-use Visual Toy that will fire a sweet message to you- or to all your contacts- whenever you exit
    A heart is already in the sky with A Shot of Love“.Just some days before the big holiday doesn’t seem like Valentine’s Day, unless you remember that there’s a special day https://boucek.blog.idnes.cz/redir.aspx?url=https://tiwellflatim.weebly.com

6add127376 vanhai

12. 20 May, 2022 / 9:30 am

The unit conversions are supported, and the system is compatible with Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. The teacher can add bookmarks and define the properties of each drawing.
    The teacher will be able to view the student work with this program directly and make any necessary modifications. No extra computer literacy skills are required.
    The student doesn’t need to learn any special mathematical procedure to use the program. Simply type in or paste a mathematical expression https://www.triple-tree.com/external/?url=https://stafpinfarand.weebly.com

6add127376 neanelva

13. 20 May, 2022 / 11:35 am

Complementation of an rfb mutation is clustered around the rfbI-rfbJ region of the Escherichia coli chromosome.
    The rfb gene clusters encode a complex lipopolysaccharide (LPS) O side chain and are present in 20-30% of gram-negative bacteria; expression of these genes is modulated in response to environmental stimuli. The gene cluster encoding the LPS O side chain is located at 7.23 M on the Escherich https://anattiri.weebly.com

6add127376 fayyard

14. 20 May, 2022 / 12:25 pm

Though, it does create some sounds at times such as when you finalize the recovery process. Nonetheless, there is no need to be concerned about what to expect.
    Pros Available on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows 8
    Does not need to be formatted before recovery
    Worked well in our tests
    Available at 99.99 USD

Has Kubuntu? I installed it last week and actually I was just thinking about writing a review, but let’s wait for the installation of 15 http://images.google.co.vi/url?q=https://greserovig.weebly.com

6add127376 jarrfre

15. 20 May, 2022 / 12:45 pm

Is better to work with the public repository where you can see a partial description of all the software.
    Wha….

The MITO project
    MITO is a collaborative, open-source project whose goal is to create a high quality, open-source MATLAB interface to the DICOM file format on Linux. There are two primary objectives to MITO:
    1) To create a robust and stable MATLAB interface for the DICOM file format that will run current and future https://domaindirectory.com/policypage/privacypolicy?domain=https://relalago.weebly.com

6add127376 tanreny

16. 20 May, 2022 / 1:05 pm

All examples of this post come from the author’s own collection.
    Powerful animation tool (containing many parameters) allows you to preview, edit, make manipulations to the attractor and morph the attractor or left-invert it. Also you can see all parameters of the animation and control each step of the animation.
    The program also has an option to create output (PDF, jpeg, etc.) and printing parameters.
    Installation of the program doesn’t require any setting up. https://deostilenntol.weebly.com

6add127376 marcsho

17. 20 May, 2022 / 3:58 pm

Questions ?
    If you run into issues or have queries, then head to the FAQ section.  You can find more info on TPM Bypass and get suggestions and other useful information at the TPM Bypass product page.

A:

You should be aware that the TPM 2.0 requirement applies only to “modern” versions of Windows such as Windows 8, 10 or possibly Windows 1703, it doesn’t apply to Windows 7 and it has no effect https://wibesacer.weebly.com

6add127376 garcweth

18. 20 May, 2022 / 4:22 pm

PRANK is an application that sends naughty jokes to your Facebook status or you Twitter.
    The goal is to irritate the person. This has never been so easy!
    You can easily move through the social network in one line, selecting from a range of jokes to pass on to your friends.
    It’s easy to use and it will make you laugh for hours!

The Dawn of Discovery is a high-quality real-time game with an ancient civilization theme and time travel http://images.google.com.cu/url?sa=i&url=https://battberkbiku.weebly.com

6add127376 cheymoor

19. 20 May, 2022 / 10:56 pm

Features:
    – A perfect combination of attractive colors and fascinating effects, which make you feel real ownership over your desktop.
    – Opacity control is provided so that you can easily adjust the transparency level with ease.
    – Extra options are provided to have better control over your desktop, plus an anti-aliasing menu that helps to further enhance the appearance of the images.
    – There are six predefined nature scenes, each having its own title as a bonus. There are plenty of options https://richonline.club/upload/files/2022/05/rYvCgTZIhiqZP9tyqLOq_19_1dfd911a47c02b420b6dcc43744871b5_file.pdf 05e1106874 yeladaf