First, There was the Comb Jelly

First, There was the Comb Jelly

We are excited to present in full our featured story from our inaugural issue, Beginnings, by Kirsten Reneau. Reneau is working on her MFA in creative nonfiction at the University of New Orleans. Her work has also been accepted into The Threepenny Review, Hobart, Hippocampus Magazine, etc. You can purchase Issue 01 on the shop page.

Find our video interview with the author here.

In the beginning, there was only darkness. Then there was light. Then the waters. Genesis 1:1 and my grandfather told me that the condition of the world when God took hold of it was untamed and shapeless, until he said “Let there be light”. This, of course, implies that there was a world prior to God, a world of darkness and wild waters before those with power started claiming the great everything – first the mountains, the rivers, then later the oceans, and eventually the cosmos themselves.

But I cannot help but think of those days – when it was only night and only water. What moved across the earth then?

I think of the comb jelly.

Until pretty recently, scientists believed that the first animal, in the traditional way we think of animals, was a sea sponge. A basic, simple creature capable only of survival. It would make sense, wouldn’t it? That the tree of life, the hierarchy of evolutionary movements and relationships, would begin with the basics. At the start, there was only darkness. And the sea sponge.

However, a recent turn of events has us reconsidering who the first, the original, animal may have been. New research from scientists at Brown University has determined that it could be the shockingly complex comb jelly sitting at the base of the tree of life.

In one of my first memories, my parents took me and my sisters to the beach. I ran in and out of the ocean, screaming and laughing as we plunged our bodies into the water before running back out again. It was a game we played, running in and out of the water, following the white surf of the tide as it disappeared against the shore over and over again. Sometimes I dove underwater and shut my eyes, which allowed my body to be rocked and moved by the water until at last I popped up and ran back to shore again. At the time, my body felt weightless and alive.

My mother read on the beach, though she stopped to check on us now and then to make sure that we had not found a way to sink under the ocean. I know my father was there, but in my memory, I don’t know where. He moved like the surf, vanishing past the edge of existence yet still vital to the memory.

This was my genesis – my mother and father, who gave me darkness, then light, then water to swim and play and live in. Over time I learned this came with a weight too. Like all parents, my mother and father had expectations for their children. There was never time for resting – we were always striving for something.

I took lessons. Played sports. Tutored. Worked in the summer. Joined extracurriculars. Volunteered at the local food pantry, then the library. Went to a good college. Continued volunteering. Joined more organisations. Took leadership positions. Added more scholarships, more majors, more and more and more. I felt the weight of my parents’ expectations around my neck like an invisible anchor. I begin to develop a hunch, my back and shoulders tired.

You should never be satisfied, my father told me once. You can always be better.

I imagine floating in the ocean alone, hiding in the darkness of the water, my body moved only by the push and pull of the ocean, shapeless and untamed.

The comb jelly is not a true jellyfish like how many think of them now – floating, bell-shaped creatures with long, stinging tentacles, perfectly safe until they’re not. Looking at images of the comb jelly, however, you can see early traces of what the Jellyfish would become. It has the same soft body and small tentacles. They look like baby teeth, not quite in their full form, but hold possibilities of what could come. He would have floated alone in the ocean, covered in a world that knew only darkness and water, a womb for all creation.

Could he have understood that he was the first? Was it lonely, or liberating?

Sometimes my partner urges me to just sit down. I am constantly in motion. I have learned that there is always more, that there is always something wrong and something to fix. Doing is a way to control. I no longer imagine floating in the middle of the ocean; I don’t want to slow down or stop, because that means I have to be alone with myself.

He reminds me: Even God took a day of rest.

It’s funny because we don’t believe in god, but I don’t point that out. I tell him I have more work to do. I worry that if I sit for too long, I will sink. It doesn’t matter that I always feel like I’m on the verge of sinking.

So I do more and more and more until it all comes crashing down. One day I wake up and realize I have nothing to do at all; I am suddenly unemployed and out of school. My only commitment for the day is to go to the beach with my partner.

I thought it might feel freeing if I was forced to stop – that it would feel like I was floating. Instead, I feel like thrashing, like fighting, unable to calm my body down long enough to come up for air.

Two evolutionary scenarios explain why the comb jelly may be the first among all animals. The comb jelly may have evolved independently of other animals, not branching off the tree as much as splitting it in half, forging its path independently from the creatures to come.

The other explanation offers a theory: Perhaps the sponge evolved its simple form from the jelly’s more complex one. Perhaps evolution is not a straight line, with each generation becoming more complex than the last, always having to do more and then more and then more.

Maybe it’s simpler than all that.

In the beginning, there was only darkness. Then light. Then the waters. My partner sits on the shore. Lying in the ocean, I am alone. I pull my body below the water and close my eyes and my body feels weightless and alive, the way it did in the beginning.

1. 1 November, 2021 / 12:09 am

It is in point of fact a nice and useful piece of info. I¦m satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

2. 28 January, 2022 / 8:07 am

Very interesting subject, thanks for putting up. “The friendship that can cease has never been real.” by Saint Jerome.

3. 14 February, 2022 / 2:27 pm

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

4. 14 February, 2022 / 7:52 pm

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

5. 18 March, 2022 / 4:48 pm

You are my breathing in, I own few web logs and infrequently run out from to brand.

6. 1 April, 2022 / 7:54 pm

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

7. 3 April, 2022 / 2:09 pm

I am always searching online for posts that can help me. Thank you!

8. 4 April, 2022 / 6:13 am

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this site, since I experienced to reload the web site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

9. 20 May, 2022 / 8:18 am

Download
    You can download WhatIsHang from the official site. The most current installer is available for 32/64-bit versions of Windows.

Web page deployment is a widely used capability for web developers, to speed up the delivery of new pages to the intended audience. If the page content requires a database connection to operate, it must be considered very carefully before the page itself can be deployed so that it will work without a connection. Sometimes this is not the option that a web https://clients1.google.com.pk/url?q=https://desanlafun.weebly.com

6add127376 ysejarr

10. 20 May, 2022 / 8:57 am

Free.Field
    The present invention generally relates to hydrogen storage technology and, more particularly, to cryogenic hydrogen storage elements, monitoring systems thereof and methods of making and using thereof.
    Description of the Related Art
    Hydrogen gas has many recognized benefits as a clean, renewable energy source. For example, hydrogen gas can be used as a fuel for transportation and heating. In contrast to other fossil fuels, there are no greenhouse gases or other environmental harm created by the usage of hydrogen or any of https://damdetire.weebly.com

6add127376 queenell

11. 20 May, 2022 / 9:19 am

Auto Lock can be downloaded from EDGEcode’s website for free, without any adware or spyware bundled in the package.
    Download Auto LockDenise Kudo

Denise Laveau-Kudo (born 10 September 1977) is a French pole vaulter. She holds the French national record in the pole vault at 5.40 metres, set in Paris on 15 August 1999 and improved her mark to 5.48 metres on 28 August 2006. She is a https://ciatebephal.weebly.com

6add127376 milibear

12. 20 May, 2022 / 9:51 am

Downloading any movie costs more than 12 Euros in the EU. This is in the case of a download from the Internet Movie Database, which is pretty crap, and then you add on the money it takes to go to the cinema to watch the movie for free (because of the quota of tickets, which already costs 11.50 for a city show which is in a safe place). The same thing is the free DVD of DVD. I can watch it for free (again, if I https://erleleca.weebly.com

6add127376 dechon

13. 20 May, 2022 / 12:11 pm

This program is written by Stephan Bönicke for use with GrapeTV.
    This program cannot run in windows xp, windows 2008 or MAC Os. After a short time dcommandline modes may be improved to work under windows xp and MAC Os.
    In windows xp you have to use your CMD to run this program.

Tip: before to run the command you have to open terminal and set it as default, aske in this forum for detail about how do it https://paporimen.weebly.com

6add127376 trevamad

14. 20 May, 2022 / 12:31 pm

The developer has put the application on CNET Download.com and published it for free.Q:

How to show variables created in a certain module in another?

I got this javascript code, that creates variables:
    var player = new Array();
    player[0] = firstname[0];
    player[1] = firstname[1];
    player[2] = firstname[2];
    player[3] = lastname[0];
    player https://charanraj.blog.idnes.cz/redir.aspx?url=https://rapetaden.weebly.com

6add127376 dayhalo

15. 20 May, 2022 / 12:51 pm

PowerPlay is designed to help you increase your productivity, reduce auto-update infections, and reduce download and auto-start delays. Most antiviruses are not designed to block download attempts or prevent installations. As a result, you end up forced to manually make the downloads work. If the downloads do not work, as expected, you end up frustrated. PowerPlay comes with some utilities that you can use to easily make viruses lock down.

The feature set is very limited. This http://www.rssaggregator.com/preview/?url=https://unilacmen.weebly.com

6add127376 venpadm

16. 20 May, 2022 / 1:13 pm

Practical application with many uses
    The best is the simplicity of the application. The cool “touch” menu that helps the user with the most frequent actions in the users’ interface makes the application easy to handle.
    What the founder really cares about :
    The focus of the designer :
    A requirement list is the first item in “future improvements” :
    A masterpiece that’s worth providing. [:]

December 21, 2018

Citrix has unveiled a powerful new version https://taitudesa.weebly.com

6add127376 lookassi

17. 20 May, 2022 / 1:39 pm

What is good in it
    A free version is available
    Works well with MP4
    Adds several common video elements
    Adjustable opacity, text formatting and color
    What is bad in it
    Totally manual
    Only the four initial shapes available

Optimus Optimus would be a nice solution for those people who are not very familiar with the settings of their smartphone or are less computer savvy and would wish to transform their mobile into a mini computer. This WindowsPhone app allows you to download files http://lbast.ru/zhg_img.php?url=https://ibimarcris.weebly.com

6add127376 virfalz

18. 20 May, 2022 / 2:36 pm

It is worth noting that the program works on any platform – Windows, Linux, Android and so forth.
    A free downloadable version of the Sunbird adds an additional feature. With such a version of the app, you can synchronize your Google Calendar with the mobile or desktop version of the calendar application, depending on the type of connection that is used.
    If you’re tired of recurring calendar events marking time, a true task list that includes multiple tasks per group is what you https://apitphybo.weebly.com

6add127376 attessa

19. 20 May, 2022 / 3:04 pm

Higher process means more cache with higher latency. Low process means higher cache and lower latency. If you are reading some blog post about Linux caching, it is better you read this one.

Classification

Why get information about the cache latency? First because it gives us insights about the performance and more generally about the cache. Second, we can choose the correct cache architecture.

Design criteria

We classify our caches according to the information provided by the command we wrote. https://cse.google.pn/url?q=https://ryahylire.weebly.com

6add127376 ginmac

20. 20 May, 2022 / 4:05 pm

Builtin image viewers

A huge set of applications isn’t the only possibility when it comes to the search tool in this web browser. There are also numerous applications in the market that could otherwise be used as a snap to find something. So even if you don’t have any utilization for Flickr images, the search tool will still be there for you to use. You may even get surprised by some of these programs.

No need to join Flickr.com

It’s a https://loaplatternpo.weebly.com

6add127376 jaqjame

21. 20 May, 2022 / 4:30 pm

■ Support for many different languages, we can even configure your system to speak to you in your native language
    ■ Separate microphone – YAdv3k monitors you input while you listen to speech
    ■ Beautiful GUI ( unbind hotkey, sleep, change languages )
    ■ A software modem can be attached to use Younicate with all kind of sound input devices
    ■ Local FPI files – you wont need to bother with internet connections https://ehoredot.weebly.com

6add127376 reetbali

22. 20 May, 2022 / 11:06 pm

Despite its minimalist design, its Windows appearance offers a wonderful place to work.

The audio tutorial for the above tutorial is available for FREE download.

READERS COMMENTS

I really needed to write a small word to be able to express gratitude for the awesome tips you are posting here. My extensive internet search has finally been compensated with good quality tips to talk about with my family. I ‘d consider that we readers actually are very blessed to live in a remarkable place with very many https://thefuturegoal.com/upload/files/2022/05/hk6KvfDgAevpFZt9KXAH_19_8f70355860bf13fb0d8be56b06c9c135_file.pdf 05e1106874 amynek

23. 20 May, 2022 / 11:35 pm

Homepage:

qoeasy is a complete restructuring of the Windows Quotaing system for Windows 2003/XP. Subsystems like space and disk usage and single file handling are now in a self explanatory order.
    It is also easier for the normal user to install this program because new wizards are included for working with the new subsystems of the quotaing system.

QuizApp new v3 based on Adobe Audition 3. https://blogup.in/upload/files/2022/05/sGZTUSQfk8KMpbci29O1_19_7102b8570b80e0325513c3be4e56fa17_file.pdf 05e1106874 silewik

24. 31 May, 2022 / 3:28 am

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already.good job guys.

25. 28 June, 2022 / 1:20 pm

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

26. 20 July, 2022 / 9:35 pm

I was just searching for this information for a while. After six hours of continuous Googleing, finally I got it in your website. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this type of informative sites in top of the list. Usually the top web sites are full of garbage.

27. 12 September, 2022 / 7:57 am

Hi! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your blog posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects? Appreciate it!

28. 13 September, 2022 / 11:32 am

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.