Cutting Through the Bullshit

Cutting Through the Bullshit

How Creative-Non-Fiction can help us reach beyond the easy superficiality of capitalism, consumerism, and the insincere self.

It’s everywhere these days, even if you can’t see it. It’s there, believe me. Oozing from the fissures between your screens. Wafting over you as you as you walk down the road, passing under billboards and shop signs. You may already suspect the stink of your newspaper, or the rankness of those glossy magazines. You may be smelling it right now, as you read this.

I’m talking, of course, about bullshit.

I don’t mean harmless bullshit of the kind that people share the world over – the innocuous half-truths and total fabrications we all enjoy when in relaxed and non-judgemental company. In fact, I would say that this breed of bullshit is part of the essential social sludge that makes humans so excellent at working together. There’s just no way we’d be such a successful species if we could not lie blatantly and tenderly to each other’s faces, every now and then.

No, I’m talking about a different kind of bullshit. I’m thinking in particular about that deliberate, sit down and make a mood-board kind of bullshit. You know the kind. Agenda-driven bullshit. Bullshit with intentions. Bullshit with teeth.

This secondary bullshit differs from the first because it seeks to take something from you without your consent or – much more sinister – your knowledge. It has a cost. Even if that cost is just time, or the energy it takes to read a slogan. More often, of course, the cost is money, and the illusion of fulfilment and happiness – if only you could afford  better storage solutions!

But I’m not just talking about advertising, or commercialism, or clever excuses to buy things. I’m talking about our bodies, our skin and hair. We are fed products which translate, in their essence, to bullshit. We drink it by the bucketload. Every day we rub bullshit into our scalps, our skins and the tips of our fingers. I’m also talking, more distantly, about psychology. We live our lives through the stories we are told. The brain and the heart are bound through narrative. And yet, the majority of stories our society tells us are – well, you guessed it. Bullshit.

Stories about boys always being muscled heroes, girls always being brittle princesses. Stories about monsters always being bad (monsters are almost never as bad as those who slay them). Stories about conquest and thriving and endless upward thrust. All very phallic, quotidian and unimpressive, and yet infinitely harmful to our society and our culture.

And this is where CNF comes in.

Creative-non-fiction is different from other factual writing (such as journalism or academia) because it uses the same muscles and mechanisms that fiction does. It curls real life into the shape of stories, and as it does, it imparts truth. It gives you feeling, experience and ideas all wound together, and from these things we gather a closeness. A humanity.

Very importantly, it asks for nothing in return. Sure, you need to read it, and commit to the words, but it won’t demand your loyalty like a bank advert, or nudge you toward pretty deceits that feed your ego. Quite the opposite. Most good CNF is ugly. Ugly with the wrinkles and the blemishes of a one dull day that follows another. Ugly with an exceptional normality. Ugly with honesty.

Good art, I’ve always thought, is an unveiling. A lifting of the shroud to reveal the face beneath. Often that face will belong to a loved one, or a trauma, or a resurrected self you thought long since forgotten (this is why CNF comes with more trigger warnings than any other genre). And this unveiling is what makes us gasp. It fills us, like good food or good company, with that lifting feeling. Call it happiness, if you like. But not happiness of the easy kind. Not the kind that allegedly comes free with a mortgage or the latest insurance policy. The other kind. The real kind.

Honesty is the greatest tool we have in war against bullshit. And it’s a war we fight every day, on all sides – from politics to pleasure, from Hollywood to Disney. But it’s not even a war really. It is a natural disaster. A flood that we’re wading through with our trousers hitched up. Or an avalanche, that we need to dig ourselves out of.

Activists and scientists talk a lot about the Anthropocene and the age of plastic, how our addition to stuff is choking the seas and hollowing the earth (for further cheerful reading, check out George Monbiot’s upcoming talk Dying from Consumption), but I prefer to see the situation in blunter terms. The sad truth is that it’s not about plastic, or government policy, or individual selfishness – all of these things can be forces for good in the right environment. No, it’s about bullshit.

I believe that if we, and everyone we know and everyone we should ever meet, just had the time, and the courage and the kindness to be honest – with themselves and each other, then things would be far less shit. I’m not saying it would cure world poverty or end war, but it might make us question a little bit more, why these things exist. And how do we get there? How do we reach that state of halcyon honesty throughout the world?

Well, reading a bit of CNF is a pretty good start.

Philip Webb Gregg
Philip Webb Gregg

1. 31 October, 2021 / 11:48 pm

There’s noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in features also.

2. 6 January, 2022 / 6:43 pm

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

3. 14 February, 2022 / 9:39 am

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

4. 14 February, 2022 / 10:15 pm

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you?¦ve on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and simply couldn’t come across. What a great website.

5. 15 February, 2022 / 2:28 am

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this web site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and just could not come across. What a great web site.

6. 17 March, 2022 / 1:39 pm

I have not checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

7. 18 March, 2022 / 2:16 pm

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, as well as the content!

8. 11 April, 2022 / 4:31 pm

sex doll The Provocative Woman Of The Castle Top Ten Japanese Sex Dolls Overview A fat sex doll with tremendous tits How to Pick a Similar Silicone Doll

9. 17 April, 2022 / 9:38 pm

I’m so happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

10. 19 May, 2022 / 10:53 pm

sex doll store Top 10 Least expensive Sex Dolls How Long Can A Sex Doll Be Used? Trio of Enormous Boobs Sex Dolls How to Pick a Genuine Asian Doll

11. 20 May, 2022 / 9:55 am

The free version of DVDFab Video to MP4 Converter limits you to convert videos from 0.6 GiB (up to 720p support) and 30 minutes at the time. However, this doesn’t mean this is a small and light mobile app. DVDFab Video to MP4 Converter is a mobile tool and a high-end desktop product. It packs a lot of functionalities and performance. It supports 480p, 320p, and even more (up to http://images.google.md/url?q=https://rgopdeszaysand.weebly.com

6add127376 jonmar

12. 20 May, 2022 / 11:51 am

Can Document Recycling Save Time and Money?

Let’s face it: throwing a document out after only a few uses can be a time-consuming and a money-spending affair. Document Recycling, on the other hand, lets you reduce the costs as well as the time spent on document disposal as well as the entire document workflow.
    Document Recycling is a tactic all SharePoint users ought to adopt for efficiency reasons, as it presents a world https://retpentpervve.weebly.com

6add127376 halida

13. 20 May, 2022 / 12:16 pm

■ And because of the 100 actions per run, you need to register the software again if you have more then 10 actions active. (You can define more actions later on)
    ■ The download comes in.zip-format with the DEMO-version

Firmware Panther – Chapter 33

Firmware Panther – Chapter 33

Welcome to the 33-chapter of the Panther-chapter-series: After using Python and OOP you should now better http://cse.google.cv/url?sa=i&url=https://rensynchtongslop.weebly.com

6add127376 dellyill

14. 20 May, 2022 / 12:37 pm

Drives are really prone to failure. So they can’t be recovered every time or even most of the time. If anything goes wrong with a data drive, its very difficult to recover that drive since its backup drive of the original data is safe.

Just because i already used drive cloning software doesn’t mean i will try every software out there.

How can a flaw exist in cloning software?

There are two types of drive cloning software. dd is a deterministic http://cospack.co.kr/shop/shop/bannerhit.php?bn_id=9&url=https://sioperkuna.weebly.com

6add127376 keiwil

15. 20 May, 2022 / 12:56 pm

What’s more, it offers batch music operations and conversion prowess. Overall, this audio tool is a useful tool for anyone who requires the capabilities associated with advanced audio applications. IN THE SUPREME COURT OF PENNSYLVANIA https://exponcorpsa.weebly.com

6add127376 kelswyl

16. 20 May, 2022 / 1:20 pm

The utility sports a user-friendly interface that doesn’t overload the users with useless info that might guide them in the wrong direction.
    Unfortunately, Nice Clock has only been spotted in the freeware area of our website, but you can visit the official website in order to download the tool for free. We suggest that you print a shortcut on your desktop so that you can launch it from your desktop shortcut.
    The definitive edition of Nice Clock, 1.3, can be found by clicking https://klapovriarei.weebly.com

6add127376 ginpere

17. 20 May, 2022 / 2:42 pm

There’s no real added features that make it stand out. The only real stumbling block is the lack of support for saving animated GIFs.

Post navigation

I like the Tintin game you discover a new icon like on my Touchpad to click or move icons. Using the Touchpad I usually have to scroll down or up the page but sometimes I want to zoom in or out fast. Today I used a previous salvaged idea to make it work without the touchpad http://images.google.at/url?sa=t&url=https://porthbesphucor.weebly.com

6add127376 chaiana

18. 20 May, 2022 / 3:52 pm

Once your complete song is made a file naming convention is applied to all parts to help you find the right piece to play it during a performance.
    A piano roll MIDI format is used for recording your composition and all steps are labelled with a symbol which are then converted into bass, drum and rest – all ready to add to your creation!

Introducing this new MangoDrum release for Windows 10 is a simple and easy to use application designed to meet the needs of even the most busy https://stolcatneefit.weebly.com

6add127376 ilanvall

19. 29 May, 2022 / 1:07 pm

love doll That is a great tip especially to those new to the blogosphere. Brief but very precise information… Appreciate your sharing this one. A must read post!

20. 23 June, 2022 / 11:46 pm

buy sex doll I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.