Author Spotlight: Tracy Rothschild Lynch

Tracy Rothschild Lynch writes CNF and poetry and currently divides her time between Virginia and London. Tracy’s work has been published in Janus Literary Journal, HerStry, and Brain,Child, among others. Her piece, ‘Maternal Ebb, Flow’, can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

I fell in love with Creative Nonfiction back in graduate school. I enrolled at the age of 33 (with two toddler daughters at home), and intended to get my degree in Composition and Rhetoric. Although I’d been writing poetry for pleasure and working in literary fields since I was 22 or so, “official” creative writing was the furthest thing from my mind. However, when I took my first CNF workshop, I fell in love with the works we read and the work we shared. I promptly took a second class, and then switched my focus to CNF, and the rest is history. A few years ago I earned my MFA in Creative Writing and discovered that the process of learning was even more energizing than the products.

There’s something about the beauty of a true story, about playing with the form and function and purpose of words, that mesmerizes me—and also challenges me. You know, on earth we’re all connected by the stories we tell and the experiences we share; finding the most innovative, rich, relatable ways to create these true stories on paper (or screen) is what drives me. My side gig of personal poetry writing has always been an outlet for me, almost a way to explore what’s percolating before it officially brews in my CNF pieces. So yes, I try to incorporate poetic form and style in my CNF however I can. Sometimes it kinda sorta actually all comes together.

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

Talk about serendipity! I had been shaping a piece born out of personal experiences with mothering children with chronic illnesses as someone with chronic illnesses myself—about the un-nameable heaviness weighing me down as I cared for them and, now, prepare them for adulthood. I wanted to figure out what that heaviness was. As the piece explores (spoiler alert!), I believe the answer is actually fruitless guilt. When I started playing with the concept of amniotic fluid, genes, bloodlines, my mother’s mental health issues, etc., I found Epoch’s call for submissions. “Roots” fit my concept perfectly, but more importantly, it gave me direction in which to continue, a way to contain my structure and keep it from becoming almost too “big.”

From there, I edited, shaped, wrote, and re-shaped to try to make my writing mirror the flow of fluids between mother and child, from generation to generation. Knowing I’d planted these genetic seeds in my daughters, and now watching from the shore as they float away into adulthood . . . well, it all just fell in place, writing-process wise. The hard part was digging deep into my understanding of my own roots (the first part of the essay), of finding ways to describe intensity of a difficult childhood, without making that the centerpiece of the essay. That’s where the theme of “Roots” helped rein me in.

Hmmm. I think I thrive on a three-part challenge: 1) finding a truly unique (and beautiful) way of capturing something that is 2) my experience and interpretation of that experience, all while 3) evoking a universal reaction or understanding in others. And I think I go in that order when I edit. Find the “perfect” words; figure out if I captured something in the way I hoped to; and then edit for imaginary readers. I do know that in writing I don’t shy away from challenges, whereas in real-life I tend to be more worried about doing very hard things. Challenges are what keep us evolving as writers.

I won’t even get into The Business Challenge of being a writer here, which these days feels more difficult than ever—the submitting, the time management, the outreach, the social media platforms, and so on, because those challenges are best contained to another part of my brain. If I think about them too much, I won’t write at all. Or at least I won’t write as well.

A long time ago, I decided I only wanted pieces in our home that held meaning—that were either created by someone we knew, or that held sentimental meaning for another reason (somewhere we visited, a special message, etc.). It makes our home feel more plentiful, in a way. My current favorite artwork is one we purchased in Edinburgh last month. It’s a print of a painting of rolling hills, a white hut with thatched roof, a red call box, and a wee sheep. In spite of those objects, the primary focus of the piece is the sky. It is the richest, deepest dark blue—indigo-grayish, as though a storm is brewing. The white and reds against it are stunning. But the main reason we purchased it is because our delightful four years of living as ex-pats in the U.K. are very sadly coming to a close. We’ll be returning to America in a few weeks, and by taking this piece home with us, we’ll always have a perfectly captured scene to remind us of long drives in the countryside of Scotland, Ireland, England, and Wales, all at once. Plus, it’s gorgeous. I’m simply obsessed with it.

1. 20 May, 2022 / 8:19 am

Matrex can be used in many different ways, but allows you to work, for example, with the following features:

 Formulas or calculations are applied to entire blocks of data, called matrices.
     Charts are visible only when you want.
     Presentations are visible in true animation mode.
     Descriptions appear at the bottom of the screen for each cell.
     The display mode can be changed https://www.google.sm/url?sa=t&url=https://napucpotha.weebly.com

6add127376 marvlas

2. 20 May, 2022 / 8:57 am

In our opinion, even though it does not quite fit the same niche as WinZip or 7-Zip, it is a neat compression utility that deserves more attention.
    A.G. Client Recommendations
    Chein Software Inc.
    iTunes 12 – If you already pay for iTunes, it’s definitely worth upgrading to iTunes 12. One of its highlights is the app update service introduced in iTunes 12. The app starts updating itself immediately upon being installed, and stop after it has synced https://www.google.tk/url?sa=t&url=https://courrochibanc.weebly.com

6add127376 melvgord

3. 20 May, 2022 / 9:51 am

All backgrounds are specially designed, interactive and include Messi’s pictures and trophy in the background. Moreover, each wallpaper comes with a short video clip, showing an intro, the Lionel Messi Windows 7 Theme’s new wallpaper, and a short video clip with Michael Owen and then his rival Leo Messi. All the videos created with the high-quality HD quality of 120 frames per second are perfectly compatible for home computers of Windows 7, Windows 8 and MAC OS X, and are ready to receive a glance in every https://provnonloywhis.weebly.com

6add127376 terrrosa

4. 20 May, 2022 / 11:45 am

Apps4Phone and Apps4Mic use Sound Recorder to convert audio tracks from MP3, AVI, MP4 and MPEG into audio files.
    I just tried all three of these programs and you can see the great results they get with a simple test.
    Now let’s get into the detail.
    All three of the App store apps have the feature to encrypt audio tracks on the fly. Now when the audio is your private audio personal data, this may not be a bad http://startgames.ws/myspace.php?url=https://melockvero.weebly.com

6add127376 pevise

5. 20 May, 2022 / 12:10 pm

with RSS settings
    ■ Built-in settings’s dialog box
    ■ A status bar with overall download and upload information
    Picea’s web space contaions are:
    ■ Privacy features
    ■ Searching features
    ■ RSS feeder features
    ■ Customizable breadcrumb functions
    ■ Tooltips,resizing and zooming features for any web page
    ■ Built-in proxy function and internet test tool https://vilsinistcolt.weebly.com

6add127376 uryeinf

6. 20 May, 2022 / 1:13 pm

Features:
    – An E-mail notifier
    – Very easy to use configuration wizard
    – Large database of customizable e-mail sounds
    – Full screen mode
    – Multi window mode
    – E-mail alert sounds, supporting 44 different languages
    – Animated characters to read your e-mail
    – Easy to reset system preferencesSome of the more successful online services do not even try to do that much

DreamHack starts today in all of Europe, and with the Opening Cere http://gbs.realwap.net/redirect.php?id=4575&url=https://sistyatranmen.weebly.com

6add127376 ualaphyl

7. 20 May, 2022 / 1:39 pm

Record from any sourceYou can record any sound from any source including Skype, music players, DVD players, game-play, opening a PowerPoint file and many more. You can record some particular sound from any source or record multiple sounds at the same time.
    Now you can try the demo version of Kazi Sound Recorder.
    How to record using KAZI Sound Recorder
    ■Connect your microphone to your computer
    ■Launching the KAZI Sound Recorder software
    K https://tiwellflatim.weebly.com

6add127376 egbebre

8. 20 May, 2022 / 2:06 pm

The main difference between it and traditional time management tools is that Ultralist was designed to be more hands-on and it paves the way to an efficient and intelligent way to see and manage your tasks.
    With its many functions, the tool also provides a lot of flexibility. From the first time you start the app, you get the opportunity to take what you need in order to discover the remaining items in your list. The tool provides three ways to organize your lists: via actions, roles https://www.monetas.ch/de/1612/Include-Firmenpruefzeichen.htm?url=https://centakofe.weebly.com

6add127376 vallwand

9. 20 May, 2022 / 3:46 pm

The moment when Vivitar set into motion a “new custom memory card” has been long in coming. The market, though, has been expecting such evolution in the way Vivitar looks at customer experiences for quite a while. Go ahead and brush up on some of the history.

For the first time in the history of memory cards, Vivitar has created its own custom memory card to satisfy the market’s needs. The AllBrite card isn’t https://inesetkhar.weebly.com

6add127376 mardea

10. 20 May, 2022 / 10:59 pm

There is a wonderful game creator that comes bundled with the program, that is unfortunately missing from the final version…the game engine is another story. Overall though, this is a great program. It has an extensive feature list and an easy to use interface.

Greetings!
    Let’s start with some of the more unique features of this package. As mentioned, you may be interested in the ultra-convenient script editor. Anyone and everyone has experienced the difficulty with bringing out a https://lifesspace.com/upload/files/2022/05/4mdbuJPHBQcV3wWyGGWe_19_870f635589fe76f9fba086b8873cf405_file.pdf 05e1106874 rawdsymp