Author Spotlight: Stephen Haines

Stephen Haines headshot with tree in background

Stephen Haines’s piece, ‘Buddy Boy’, can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

I only very recently, in my first year of graduate school, began to write CNF. But as soon as I tapped into that mode, it quickly became apparent to me that it was something that had long been missing in my complete ability to express myself. I have written fiction for a long time, and I still love to write fiction, but there is something so immediate and, often, obviously, more personal about essays. For me, when I’m exploring a potential idea that I know I want to write, CNF gives me that option of coming right out and saying it and dropping the more traditional artifice of calling it fiction. Sometimes, though, it’s not ideal to go that route for any number of reasons, and it comes out as a story. I like to think of both genres as “tools” in my “toolbelt.” And then, of course, within CNF and fiction are all the different forms, which really expands the unique possibilities for how a piece takes shape.

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

I had already written “Buddy Boy” before I knew about the specific theme for this issue. But then when I read the theme, I felt that this piece fit the bill in an interesting, oblique way. “Roots” as a theme invites a lot of interpretations I think. I’m really excited to see the rest of the work in the issue.

For me, the biggest challenge is knowing where to place the “border” around a piece, where to focus. Because when I start to write CNF, especially if it’s anything resembling memoir, there’s an instinct to throw a lot of different experiences and details into the mix. When it’s your life, all those things make sense to you, but those extraneous details will very quickly bloat a piece of writing for a reader. Some of my earliest CNF ended up being these long narrative pieces that were, really, a few essays that were trying to pose as one. It’s hard to know that sometimes until you take a step back and/or have someone else read your draft and you get that more objective perspective.

I have this really amazing painting by Jed Dunkerley that my partner commissioned for me for our anniversary. It depicts the interior of one of our favorite places in Seattle, a little cafe on the north end of Capitol Hill called Joe Bar, where I did a lot of writing prior to graduate school. I like to stare at it when I can’t visit the actual establishment. It gives me all the good vibes.

1. 20 May, 2022 / 11:54 am

Its ease of use along with the reliable results it produces make it a great addition to any photo editing suite that doesn’t offer a simple tool to do that.

]]> https://areromco.weebly.com

6add127376 tailstef

2. 20 May, 2022 / 1:22 pm

IMPLICATIONS
    The main and most obvious use of Inkodo is productivity. It helps you to boost your creativity, but it can also be used as a screenshot/image editor and a web browser.

PROS
    It comes with pre-selected accessories like a stylus and a highlighter. You can import media, shapes, text, and stickers.

CONS
    Not all browser features are supported, such as the pop-up box.

SU http://foalsbeststart.com/?URL=https://brokeprefsi.weebly.com

6add127376 emmeesty

3. 20 May, 2022 / 1:47 pm

If you can live without these options, you will have a way to turn PDFs into HTMLs without spending too much time and energy on it.Q:

Matching element value in string

I’d like to start with a simple example so that I can slowly manipulate the data structure to answer my questions.
    My file is this https://bandcentparhau.weebly.com

6add127376 dardom

4. 20 May, 2022 / 3:33 pm

The plugin also allows the user to generate a “Playlist” from all the video files he/she has archived, so he/she can easily and/or quickly update his / her favorite videos.

You can use Video4YouTube with SONY Vegas Professional.
    Menu

The Stripe Walker

Three years ago this week, I joined the Stripe Commerce team. It seems incongruous to me, after all those years of working http://www.google.fi/url?q=https://maugraphnitchma.weebly.com

6add127376 torrwer

5. 20 May, 2022 / 3:51 pm

References

Category:Windows email clients
    Category:Windows-only software
    Category:Free softwareDESCRIPTION: Presently, only long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid esters of prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) are effective treatments for acute and chronic lung injury, and clinical application of PGD2 analogues now requires the identification and development of new analogues in order to extend their clinical utility. In addition, PGD2 has been shown to promote https://vapofordpho.weebly.com

6add127376 leonmyg

6. 20 May, 2022 / 11:34 pm

Nevertheless, remember that this feature could be inadequate if you don’t remember your Opera password or you’re using simple user names instead of secure ones. If you don’t, instead, want to rely on brute-force attacks, then you can check out BlueKai Password Recover to save your day. the removal of his motion, he did not pursue either appeal. The Council noted that he
    could have pursued all appeals directly in this court. He has suffered no sanction barring him from seeking https://axisflare.com/upload/files/2022/05/M6m3falcraEM42zGxSim_19_ef45c21018b6d5651efe744839a6bdea_file.pdf 05e1106874 talrana

7. 13 September, 2022 / 7:31 am

Why couldn’t I have the same or similar opinions as you? T^T I hope you also visit my blog and give us a good opinion. safetoto