Author Spotlight: Shell St. James

Shell St. James is a native New Englander, living and writing in North Carolina. Visit www.shellstjames.com, or read more at https://vocal.media/authors/shell-st-james. Her piece, ‘Cranberry Town’, can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

I find CNF storytelling to be more compelling than the spoken word, while for me, personally, they have a similar purpose or outcome. I’m a very quiet person, introspective to a fault, really!  I spend a lot of time tumbling experiences and memories through my mind, sifting through their lessons like puzzle pieces. Writing CNF is a comfortable way for me to organize and make sense of the things that have shaped me, as well as let others see a glimpse of my inner self. Fiction is my main genre, and a lot of my short stories have little pieces of me hidden in the characters. My recently completed novel, The Mermaid of Agawam Bay, was inspired by a year of my childhood in Wareham, MA, and I found it very fulfilling and fun to write. I just learned that Shenandoah Magazine will be featuring an excerpt from my novel in their 2021 fall issue…very exciting!

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

This is a new piece, written for Epoch’s “Roots” theme. I’ve felt very nostalgic about my childhood recently, particularly after I turned fifty (I’m fifty-three). In the last year I’ve found myself pulled toward writing YA fiction, kind of re-visiting my adolescence, as well as writing a lot of stories set on the coast of New England.

“Cranberry Town” is based on Carver, Massachusetts, which is a short drive to historic Plymouth, where I spent my twenties. In fact, I had never lived more than thirty minutes from the ocean until I was thirty! I was intrigued by Epoch’s theme of “Roots”, and almost wrote a piece reflecting my indelible connection to the sea – something I’ve felt very deeply since childhood – our family spent a lot of time on the water. When it came right down to it, though, I realized I’m still a “Cranberry Town” girl… that small town continues to beat in my heart. My roots, which I see as the essence of what made me uniquely “me”, lie in the deep woods, quiet neighborhood streets and frozen-over cranberry bogs of Carver.

It depends. “Cranberry Town” was a fun, nostalgic, easy story for me to write… a happy piece of myself that I wanted to wave like a flag! Sometimes, writing CNF is like a tightrope walk, especially in some of my darker, more emotional stories. You want to engage the reader, draw them into your world, but that comes with a risk of making yourself vulnerable. Often, after scribbling furiously and pouring my heart onto the page,  I’ll review what I’ve written and feel that I’ve bared my soul too much. Writing fiction is much easier for me.

That’s really hard to answer, as I’m a painter myself! I work in oil, acrylic and pastel, and paint a lot of New England scenes from my old photographs. I think my favorite piece is a 16 x 20 oil painting of the Androscoggin River in Maine. I remember freezing my butt off in March of ’91, standing on the bridge as the sun started to set, and the light glowed orange through the trees, reflecting on the ice…I knew it would make a really cool painting. It was worth the frozen fingers! My art website is www.earthtonespaintings.webs.com. More info about my work can be found at www.shellstjames.com, and connect with me on Twitter @shellstjames1

1. Sue
    10 October, 2021 / 6:39 pm

Fabulous interview by a wonderful writer!! Shell St. James brings authenticity and human emotion to new heights with her stories. Great job, Shell!!

2. 5 February, 2022 / 5:31 am

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for any issue and located most individuals should go in addition to with the website.

3. 25 March, 2022 / 11:58 pm

What was the URL format for Yahoo! 360 Blog posts back in the day?

4. 20 May, 2022 / 11:42 am

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of IDG Communications is prohibited. Copyright 2013 IDG Communications.
    ABN 14 001 592 650. All rights reserved.

Contact Us

With over 25 years of brand awareness and credibility, Good Gear Guide (formerly PC World Australia), consistently delivers editorial excellence through award-winning content and trusted product reviews.It’s official: Erick Silva will be the new UFC Flyweight https://chicrarasul.weebly.com

6add127376 mariben

/// Initialization constructor
    ///
    /// Game object.
    public YourGameComponent(Game game) : base() https://baydisaran.weebly.com

6add127376 neckach

6. 20 May, 2022 / 12:31 pm

Version 2.3 re-added the ability to schedule events and the ability to use the gapless timer.
    version 2.2 added the ability to set a 1 hour, 1 minute or 1 second timer.
    Version 2.2 (released 6-15-10):
    Removed:
    – The ability to schedule events. The scheduling feature is now in Good Timing’s features
    – The ability to use the gapless timer. The gapless timer has been moved to the ” https://www.azlawhelp.org/externalsite.cfm?url=https://hydsubsnatim.weebly.com

6add127376 roladay

7. 20 May, 2022 / 12:51 pm

In an effort to become more acquainted with Microsoft’s concept of ‘cloud computing’, I decided to install a small cloud server. I also decided to use Linux Mint OS (with GNOME ‘Mate’ desktop) on my iMac.
    While some people still look at the concept as a bad thing, putting computers into the cloud is an evolution of…

Access time to files and folders is often considered a major problem with Linux computers. With an old iMac, it becomes even http://pokemonemulator.com/down/load.php?url=https://insodiffsi.weebly.com

6add127376 waltsak

8. 20 May, 2022 / 1:38 pm

All in all, Digital Signer Lite is a nice program and a must-have tool in the collection of security and document signing tools.

AbleSigner is a free software to provide professional signature on.doc,.xls,.ppt,.pdf,.txt,.rtf and other formats.
    It provides a signature envelope for each pages of a document. You can add as many signatures as you want in one document.
    You can add signature in https://afamenle.weebly.com

6add127376 kasgerm

9. 20 May, 2022 / 2:05 pm

The software can give your images a professional and unique look.
    Note: This software has been tested in Windows XP SP3, Vista Business and Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 10 Pro, Windows Server 2003 and 2008, and other systems. If you want to run the program on other systems, please refer to the system requirements.

Publisher:

Linden Research

Writer:

Jonathan Shipley, Jeffrey Dean, Kirill Shadrin

Learn more http://alta-energo.ru/bitrix/rk.php?goto=https://hayrattteddars.weebly.com

6add127376 andrenn

10. 20 May, 2022 / 3:25 pm

The Robotlegs framework is the must known framework for developing high-level games and apps for Google’s Android platform. It allows you to interact easily with devices such as tablets and mobile phones.

The use of Robotlegs components is not limited to the development of games; they can also be used in work environments, in customer relationship management, chat, community management, etc.

What is a BotLegs Flex Player?

A BotLegs Flex Player is https://resttidolna.weebly.com

6add127376 elbgeo

11. 20 May, 2022 / 10:38 pm

The security of your mobile phone is of paramount importance, so it is crucial to install the
    best antivirus protection applications. The operating system’s built-in antivirus does not cover the whole system, while you can only scan files on your desktop. This means that deleted files can remain in the cache directory since they are still stored on the disk drive. This loophole is dangerous and can compromise your identity as a nuisance.

In this guide, we review some of the most common https://adsocialnetwork.com/upload/files/2022/05/oq8D6DNXxHxpBpxscacx_19_b436db4604c1f5261499c23eb3bb626f_file.pdf 05e1106874 peayosi

12. 20 May, 2022 / 11:39 pm

Not to be missed.

Free, player, arcade and sports games are by nature those video games which are acted upon by means of visual images presented on a screen or television.
    However, the way that this is carried out has changed over the years. In an earlier generation of games, the only source of information was video images shown on a screen.
    For the most part, these images were 2D shapes or graphics which were carried out by means of computer pictures and cartoons. However http://zyynor.com/upload/files/2022/05/aLGs6S2msjl7wh22dbIo_19_2c72d29a0e1e8c52b567ec707d8f2957_file.pdf 05e1106874 georgast