Author Spotlight: Pavan Bhullar

Pavan is a writer and musician based in London. She has completed her first novel, Staring into Darkness Sipping Tea. Her piece, “Mum”, can be found in EPOCH Issue 02: Aftermath, available to purchase here.

Name: Pavan Bhullar

Title of piece in Epoch Press issue #2 ‘Aftermath’: Mum

What books did you grow up reading?

One of the first books I remember reading was The Yellow Book of Bible Stories, which I found on a table at a friend’s house. It was very disappointing. Each parable started well and ended with the exact same boring moral, the subtext overt: God is watching. There was no surprise, no wonder; nothing true to life. The stories were so predictable, I was stunned the writer had thought I wouldn’t notice. It was the worst book I’d ever read and I never wanted to read anything like it again.

I found the picture book On the Way Home by Jill Murphy riveting, mostly for the Indian girl whom Claire, the protagonist, bumped into. The details of Amarjit – the glossy hair restrained in her plait, the books in her arms – were authentic, and yet the interaction between the two girls felt contrived. In Real Life, the inner worlds of those children were vastly different to the page. Like Paul, the little black boy who appeared later on, Amarjit’s presence was functional – merely demonstrating we exist – and this was obvious to me. But I loved the author for including her. I loved the precision with which her illustrations re-birthed my home city of London, and I loved her other books.

Around the age of seven, a cruel aristocrat and cult leader who’d groomed my family dumped a bunch of Roald Dahl books on me. They were a game changer. A fellow cult “disciple” owned a copy of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, which I read at least once a year until my twenties, and often seek comfort in now.

Judy Blume, Anne Fine, Rosa Guy, Anne Frank, Katherine Paterson, Cynthia D. Grant, Mildred D. Taylor and J.D. Salinger had a profound influence on me, but it was seeing reams of classics hurled into a box at a friend’s house that a bridge to another world emerged. These books were probably heading to a charity shop but, to my child eyes, the box was a bin and the act of “throwing” them in, violent. I rescued Austen, Chaucer and Dostoevsky, whose novel Crime and Punishment I read ‘til the pages were falling out and the cover was wrecked, and most significantly, Bhabani Bhattacharya, whose novel So Many Hungers! I kept on a shelf for years and years, compelled by the title etched in red hardback, captured by its potency, almost frightened of parting its pages, and utterly blown away when finally I did. That such a talented, important writer is unknown to the world has been a poignant lesson to me.

In my first year of high school, Miss-Dimbleby-the-drama-teacher took us for English and gave us Romeo & Juliet. What a great thing she did (I don’t think it was on the curriculum). O trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again… for years I read that play like a fantasy for horny teenagers, it was thrilling. We read Jane Eyre in year nine – another page turner I couldn’t keep my hands off, baffled by my English teacher’s insistence that we “…only [had] to read the first fifty pages because the exam questions [would focus on] Jane’s childhood.” (I read the whole thing). Margaret Atwood’s Cat’s Eye was a revelation during A Level. I read it carefully and quickly, slowly and effortlessly, again and again, removed from myself and everything, not because I had to find out what happened next but because being inside Elaine – the protagonist’s – life was satisfying and easy. Vivid descriptions of time and space; forest floors and ravines; the cruel, secret world of children; the smell and hue of leaves. I enjoyed the way it made me think, and the way it didn’t.

What is the most challenging aspect of your creative process?

Submission. The non-creative part.

What does your writing space look like?

A lot of writing happens internally, and my head is a messy place. But my physical environment is tidy and clean.

Who is your biggest artistic supporter?

Ed Handyside at Myrmidon Press, whom I met through a literary consultancy, has been great. And the author Laura Pearson, a Copy Cat from years past, has been unspeakably supportive, too.

Get in touch:

@BhullarPavan

pavan_716

1. Alexandr
    2 September, 2021 / 8:26 pm

He Makes Money Online WITHOUT Traffic!

Most people believe that you need traffic to profit online…
    And for the most part, they’re right!
    Fact is.. 99.99% of methods require you to have traffic.
    And that in itself is the problem..
    Because frankly, getting traffic is a pain in the rear!
    Don’t you agree?
    That’s why I was excited when a good friend told me that he was profiting, but with ZERO traffic.
    I didn’t believe him at first…
    But after he showed me the proof, it’s certainly the real deal!
    I’m curious what your thoughts are.
    Click here to take a look >> https://bit.ly/3mOAfVp
    Please view it before it’s taken down.

2. 10 September, 2021 / 9:58 am

Hey terrific website! Does running a blog similar to this require a lot of work? I’ve absolutely no knowledge of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject but I simply had to ask. Thank you!
    Really enjoyed this blog article.Thanks Again. Keep writing.

3. 10 September, 2021 / 10:05 am

Very good info. Lucky me I ran across your website by accident (stumbleupon). I ave book-marked it for later!

4. 27 September, 2021 / 2:53 am

Will what I say be heard? Is it worth spending the time making a comment if it’ll be lost amongst the many that have already been written?
    Maybe you can write a post about encouraging people to join conversation that is already quite busy or even a post about being heard among dozens of other voices that are commenting.
    카지노사이트

5. 9 November, 2021 / 5:16 am

Thanks for such a valuable post. I am waiting for your next post, I have enjoyed a lot reading this post keep it up.
    토토사이트

6. 20 May, 2022 / 8:13 am

Print a 2D Mask on your image with just a few clicks. Ideal for logo and company ID’s!
    Paint.NET currently does not natively support “print” commands from the Markup panel; however, the Print 2D Mask command can work on a Mask using the same settings as the previous import command.
    This is perfect for exporting a logo/emblem for the web, or while creating any kind of presentations or designs.
    An https://ditdeotantna.weebly.com

6add127376 ginhart

7. 20 May, 2022 / 11:38 am

GWASpi includes utilities to normalize, copy, genotype call and annotate data according to HapMap release 27, European population.
    In GWASpi, quality control tools are available to evaluate the effect of genetic ancestry in GWAS studies. Data imputation can be carried out in a number of populations simultaneously.
    A redesigned interface and an extensive list of useful options have been implemented.

One of the big challenges in genomics research is to identify disease-causing mutations https://provrilili.weebly.com

6add127376 krimor

8. 20 May, 2022 / 12:04 pm

Besides, its UI is pretty plain so you might find it rather unapproachable.

Decoders

Decoder is a free and open-source auxiliary plugin that is used to decode and convert video and audio files on your Windows operating system.
    Decoder includes dozens of individual tools that make it comfortable to work with, like those ones used to convert video files or convert audio files.

Opt-Spud – free video downloader and Splitter.
    This handy software https://www2.sandbox.google.cl/url?sa=i&url=https://vobaliha.weebly.com

6add127376 raninol

9. 20 May, 2022 / 12:47 pm

Unforgiven Organizer is a simple and convenient tool suitable for anyone who needs to create a simple yet comprehensive schedule.

A cryptocurrency wallet with budgeting tool called COINMATE is up for pre-order. The project aims to create the next generation of wallet and combine it with budgeting app. You can sign up for early access to COINMATE without pre-sale, but prepare to donate more coins to the cause if the pre-order does not meet its Kickstarter https://images.google.com.et/url?q=https://traltorsfinsthink.weebly.com

6add127376 narrdill

10. 20 May, 2022 / 1:08 pm

(not required)
    ■ Mono (required when using Mono)
    ■ Visual Studio (required to open and build the application)
    ■ Windows (OSX is supported)
    License:
    This application is released under the GNU GPL V2.0 and you are free to use it for non-commercial purposes. You are however prohibited from trying to get it distributed or sold for-profit without consent.
    My other projects:
    ■ IPass X https://www.google.mk/url?q=https://kettlapsocen.weebly.com

6add127376 elfratt

11. 20 May, 2022 / 2:57 pm

Do you want to learn the different antivirus programs to choose from? Then this post is the perfect place to start!
    Managing computers all the way, we are in the process of publishing the best antivirus programs! We are writing about the most powerful antivirus that will save you from daily troubles and then we are also creating the different categories of security software so that you can choose the right one for your requirements!
    If you live in one home but you want a second IP so https://gluctacnaugran.weebly.com

6add127376 frieclay

12. 20 May, 2022 / 4:00 pm

While this tool does not serve as a replacement for the not-so-great ads and stream malware that plague the streaming world, it’s still a decent step in the right direction, even if the non-copyrighted music played through it is quite a bit below average.
    Launching the Overlay Option, Changing the Overlay, and Clicking Start on the Setting Menu.

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the leading cause of death in the United States. Blacks comprise https://anattiri.weebly.com

6add127376 yarrdarb

13. 20 May, 2022 / 4:25 pm

OPTIONAL PRE-REQUISITES

DirectX SDK (5.0 SDK or greater)
    Windows Vista or later with DirectX 9.0c or higher.

GETTING STARTED

This installation guide only applies to desktop edition

INITIAL SET UP

To use the WinPcap driver, configures and starts the Real-Time Networking API service on the operating system.

1. Open Start menu → Settings → Control https://dulsuppdipe.weebly.com

6add127376 corxim

14. 14 June, 2022 / 7:38 am

I accidentally searched and visited your site. I still saw several posts during my visit, but the text was neat and readable. I will quote this post and post it on my blog. Would you like to visit my blog later? 토토사이트순위

15. 15 June, 2022 / 9:51 am

You made some good points there. I did a Google search about the topic and found most people will believe your blog. 먹튀검증