Author Spotlight: Larissa Reid

A former English teacher turned freelance science writer, Larissa Reid has published poetry and prose regularly since 2016. She is a founder member of the Edinburgh writing collective, Twisted::Colon. Her piece, “Capella Rising”, can be found in EPOCH Issue 02: Aftermath, available to purchase here.

What books did you grow up reading?

As a young child, my absolute favourite books were stories set in the woods and by water – Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem, The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham, Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. I read poetry from a young age, too. I adored the warmth, the tangible spiral of language and meaning that poetry created inside me. I vividly remember the physical sensations of reading poetry as a child; I can’t have been more than 8 years old at the time. I still have my hardback copy of a book called The Child’s Book of Verse’ with illustrations by Margaret Tarrant, which introduced me to poets like Robert Louis Stevenson, Tennyson, Shakespeare, Coleridge and Blake.

My mother used to sing a lot, and folk songs and strange long ballads were often on the stereo, telling stories through rhyme and rhythm. As I got older, I became hooked on the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, and the various fantasy series’ by David Eddings, alongside the classics of Austen, the Brontë sisters, Dickens. By the time I reached university to study English and Scottish Literature, I had discovered the emerging female writers from Scotland – Ali Smith, A.L. Kennedy, Janice Galloway – and fell head over heels with their simple, powerful and honest prose that continues to inspire me to this day.

What is the most challenging aspect of your creative process?

I would say the challenge is two-fold; firstly, squeezing in creative writing alongside being a mum (it is getting easier as the kids get older!) and finding the energy to write when I also spend many hours in front of a computer for my job as a freelance science writer. Secondly, ensuring I actively seek the space and quiet to process all that I absorb (through reading, listening, observing), in the hope that it finds a route out through my own words. This is perhaps the hardest of all; feeling satisfied that you have expressed a thought in its fullest and most honest form possible, even within the constraints, distractions and forces acting on you each day. I used to get frustrated when I didn’t write for weeks or even months at time – but now, I try to tell myself that these fallow phases are nothing to worry about, that I am just taking things in and mulling them over, and that my words and thoughts will come when they are ready. It has taken a degree of pressure off to think in that way, rather than pushing myself to write creatively every day.

What does your writing space look like?

Actually, I often write outdoors! I’ll walk up the hill behind my house, up through the woods, and find a tree to lean against or a boulder to sit on. Or I’ll go down to the sand banks at low tide and walk miles along the edge of the sea whilst typing notes on my phone or scribbling in tiny notebooks. I’ve never quite got the hang of recording myself talking whilst I’m out; I tend to prefer my written voice to my spoken one. I am often to be found typing fragments of sentences and lines of poetry into my phone whilst cooking dinner, or in the car waiting for my daughters. In the evenings, when I find time, I’ll sit down and write at my desk, which is covered in photographs, rocks and fossils – I actually have two desks. One for science writing and the other for creative work!

Who is your biggest artistic supporter?

Without a shadow of a doubt, all the members of my writing group, Twisted::Colon (don’t ask where the name comes from!). We’ve been writing together for six years; before the pandemic we could be found gathered around a table in an Edinburgh pub once a month, writing and talking and drinking whisky ‘til the wee small hours. I miss that intensely – it’s intoxicating to spend quality time with other talented writers. Since Covid hit, we’ve been meeting almost weekly on Zoom, and I think I speak for all seven of us when I say that it’s kept us all going through this weird time.

I am also hugely grateful to my husband, who provides gentle encouragement mixed with honest, constructive criticism. When we moved over to Fife from Edinburgh, he went out and bought a beautiful writing desk for me. One day, I’ll write the book that is waiting to be composed at that desk.

1. 20 May, 2022 / 8:14 am

…Subscribe to Nintendo Life on

Whatsinthebox has a few sights of Persona 5 Royal, and it looks like the latest Japanese release is packing a few more goodies inside than what we saw in our hands-on time.

This updated issue takes a look at the Persona 5 Royal encounter system. We learn how you can force out a Persona, either in daytime, during the day or within the night.

We also learn about an experimental section where someone can transform https://estasulzua.weebly.com

6add127376 forscad

2. 20 May, 2022 / 9:16 am

You can install the firewall as server on your computer to restrict incoming and outgoing TCP/IP port traffic, or you can install multiple instances in a network.
    The application supports multiple firewalls in multi firewall mode.
    The most important characteristic of this application is that you can deploy it easily without having to write any code.
    You can modify this application easily, which allows you to add new features even if you are not a software developer.

*Note*
    The installation https://images.google.com.kw/url?q=https://rietamiro.weebly.com

6add127376 bandviri

3. 20 May, 2022 / 9:48 am

Some games also allow to save your progress into a file with the application.
    Usage:
    Press the button “Open High Scores File” (see Figure) to open the file.
    Some games (such as Pinball 2, Pinball, Pinball 3D, White Men’s Club) allow to open the file directly with the button “Create New File” (on the left) while others (such as Z-Top) use a save dialog window.
    Figure: Open the file to open a http://images.google.be/url?sa=t&url=https://terdcaljeconf.weebly.com

6add127376 shachar

4. 20 May, 2022 / 12:05 pm

YAKUTSK, June 2. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia’s nuclear energy corporation Rosatom launched another launch pad on Wednesday to launch the Proton-M booster that will put in orbit the first Zolotlok satellite from Ukraine in June 2015.

According to data from the Roscosmos press service, the launch of the rocket, also called Progress, is scheduled to take place at 15:31 Moscow time (12:31 GMT) from the Baik https://tokelsecont.weebly.com

6add127376 peatlat

5. 20 May, 2022 / 1:34 pm

The software is fully functional, which was not the case with some of its counterparts. However, it’s been available for almost three years now, and users complain about its infrequent updates.
    Click here to check out Astyle CSS Editor »Netflix Reaches Out to Television Networks: Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) reaffirmed its approach on Tuesday with the announcement that it will work with co-production partners such as Disney, Inc. (NYSE: DIS), in an effort https://sosubsmenre.weebly.com

6add127376 evaneme

6. 20 May, 2022 / 3:20 pm

It’s not just a unique program but a powerful security tool. Combofix removes spyware in a matter of minutes and from a computer that is already infected with the most advanced infections.
    Combofix regularly checks the registry for additional infectionsthanks to its up-to-date heuristics
    Although Combofix is incredibly efficient, always look at the official website and learn all the issues involved in the program. This way you’ll be more sure that the software https://wiclehomen.weebly.com

6add127376 clagem

7. 20 May, 2022 / 3:43 pm

It unifies all Internet chat messaging to one single interface, which is a big plus. You can either create or use your own account, regardless of the site you are using.

eTalkup is a live chat solution which provides you with online support, customer feedback, and new users by using a live chat feature. You can also provide immediate answers to your website visitors by enabling a real-time support feature on your website. eTalkup has been designed to give most flexibility and many options to the customer support provider, giving you the ability to manage your own chat using your preferred host.

eTalkup is fast http://www.mtfkingdom.co.kr/shop/proc/indb.cart.tab.php?action=ok&tab=today&type=truncate&returnUrl=https://rethamsticom.weebly.com

6add127376 bardvyrn

8. 20 May, 2022 / 10:11 pm

In case you need some help with SNMP information, you can check the help page for more info.

The tool is almost completely free of cost, but a token to use GEO Manager is still required. It is a commercial SNMP manager that has limited free options. Take a look at the web page to learn more.

AdRem SNMP Watch Performer is another diagnostic application that provides a more user-friendly environment with various functions. If your goal is to sort out https://vkraini.com/upload/files/2022/05/fenJrZN2foEN6CCrDSYG_19_541878971b103f8efb820783844c98f9_file.pdf 1b4b956d05 gardgarv

9. 23 June, 2022 / 7:15 am

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!

10. 23 June, 2022 / 7:25 am

Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Wonderful. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.