Author Spotlight: Fran Fernández Arce

Fran Fernández Arce is a Chilean poet currently living in Suffolk, England. She enjoys writing about art, language, and the weather outside her window. Her piece, ‘The word you once knew’, can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

As cliche as it might sound, the most appropriate answer has been said long before I even began considering the idea of writing poetry, before my parents had even been born. When asked by a reporter as to why one would want to climb Mount Everest, George Mallory is said to have replied: “Because it’s there”. Like most apocryphal quotes, it is not so much about its authenticity or accuracy but the intention behind the saying that matters. Regardless of how cheesy it might be to include it here. Why write poetry? the question goes. Because it is there, here, everywhere.

Of course, like many people before me, I spent many years of my youth trying to write the Next Big Novel. I could carpet a one-bedroom flat with all the scattered pages and unsuccessful attempts that populated my desk growing up. Each installment, I should also add, would also be embarrassingly infected by whatever books or authors I would have been reading at the time. The notion of a fifteen-year old Chilean girl attempting to recreate the next Mrs Dalloway is simply risible to me now. However, I still have those passing moments of weakness where I see myself approaching those old, dusty notebooks with my drafts and ideas, thinking it might be the time to write a novel. Perhaps not the Next Big one but One Novel on its own. Who is to say if one of these days I may surrender to the temptation.

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

Yes, I did have something written and how fitting it was to have stumbled over Epoch’s submission window at the time. I had just participated in my first ever poetry reading, celebrating the inaugural issue of my first proper acceptance where I decided to share one temptative piece on oranges and lemons. An issue pal, Elizabeth M. Castillo, who is also part of the same issue here at Epoch, recommended sending my piece over. I’m always very thankful for the sense of support and community that can emerge from readings and other poets alike.

The theme of Roots, in that sense, occurred almost accidentally. One of the best methods I have discovered recently to help me sort out the words inside my head has been looking at their etymological definitions. I am always intrigued by how language evolves and the shades in meaning which can get lost in translation or time. As a bilingual poet, I have come to see words more as things than concepts, second-hand objects really, which one can borrow or change from one tongue to another. The idea of words having roots felt like a natural progression of those notions.

I like thinking of poetry in the same way as one might think about feelings or emotions in Spanish. While in English you are sad or happy, in Spanish you have sadness or happiness. Seen that way, what you feel is less about a state of mind and more of a possession which, in turn, supposes the possibility of discarding those feelings or emotions when they are no longer useful or appropriate. Poetry, to me, appears the same way. My poems are simply things I have within me and the act of writing allows me to place them on the outside of the page. Of course, this can be both liberating and excruciating. However, at the same time, that very struggle can also be the clearest sign of having a poem not ready to come out yet. Learning how and when to identify those moments is one of the greatest struggles I face with my writing just because it requires an admission of failure, momentary as it can be. It requires me to look at the scribbles and random sentences on the page and say to myself, not yet.

At the moment, a bright purple Tudor rose treated by the florists to last for months without withering. It rests on my desk inside a glass vault, surrounded by pebbles and its own twig curled around it. To have the skill to treat flowers with such care and with such purpose is nothing but an act of artistic creation in my book.

1. 5 February, 2022 / 2:11 am

An fascinating discussion might be priced at comment. I believe that you simply write more about this topic, it will not be described as a taboo subject but usually everyone is insufficient to chat on such topics. To a higher. Cheers

2. 16 February, 2022 / 8:51 pm

Can I simply say thats a relief to discover someone who actually knows what theyre talking about over the internet. You actually learn how to bring a difficulty to light to make it crucial. The diet should check out this and appreciate this side from the story. I cant think youre less well-known since you definitely have the gift.

3. 13 March, 2022 / 2:31 am

your website is very nice, the article is very enlightening, I wish you continued success

4. 20 May, 2022 / 8:44 am

If you still want to try it, you can download it from the author’s Web site.

By providing your email address, you are also agreeing to receive emails from HP Windows 7 to let you know that you can follow up on your opinion request. Emails are sent twice a month.

Data collection started in August 2019. By submitting this form, you agree to our Privacy Policy and European users agree to the data transfer policy. You can unsubscribe any time.Tua Tag http://drdrum.biz/quit.php?url=https://listdustweagi.weebly.com

6add127376 gayode

5. 20 May, 2022 / 9:06 am

In this case, it will help you follow through with your goals.
    Save money on your next smartphone
    As the T-Mobile G2 promo is running now, it has attracted a lot of interest in companies trying to sell their plans to existing customers. AT&T is no exception, but its plan will cost you $75 to $100 a month, which is quite a lot for just 800 minutes of talk time and 1GB of data.
    Until Monday, June 18, T- http://parts.harnessmaster.com/index.php?category=Hardware%20and%20Terminal%20Studs&part=463&colour=Silver&rurl=https://traslepsracthei.weebly.com

6add127376 sandyesh

6. 20 May, 2022 / 9:24 am

In any case, download it today and let us know your thoughts.Evolutionary relationships of South American mammals.
    The adaptive radiation of marsupials and monotremes can be traced in detail through the families of South American mammals. The majority of fossil marsupials can be divided into 5 clades (placental carnivores, dasyurids, the group which became extinct at the start of the Pleistocene, the group which became extinct during the late Pleist https://listdustweagi.weebly.com

6add127376 cariband

7. 20 May, 2022 / 9:56 am

The ready-to-use tables and calculations allow the user to easily and reliably complete any required tasks including the time-consuming execution of detailed designs.
    MITCalc for Solid Edge is an indispensable tool for mechanical engineers, technology specialists, manufacturing engineers, research scientists, machinists, and other professional people who deal with rigorously expressed mathematical problems and technological expedients.Die Große Koalition wäre ein konstruktives Werkzeug im Kamp https://perstownresas.weebly.com

6add127376 eruefen

8. 20 May, 2022 / 11:52 am

Principles of behavioural toxicity testing.
    The principles of behavioural toxicity testing are described and their application to different behavioural animal models discussed. The first is the concept of behavioural sensitisation, which describes the process of acquiring an acute state of behavioural response upon intermittent treatment with a repeated daily dose. This can be observed in the form of enhanced behavioural responses, such as increased locomotor activity, augmented attack behaviours and increased scratch response (allergies). First studies of sensitisation to novel psychopharmacological drugs, such as LSD, morphine, psychotomimetic agents and nicotine, began in the late 1950s. Of special relevance are sensit http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&url=https://wersmebetci.weebly.com

6add127376 marltas

9. 20 May, 2022 / 12:17 pm

DocSmartz – PDF to Word Converter Pros

Available on Microsoft Windows.

There is a utility to extract any image from PDF files.

Bilingual spell checker.

Has a comprehensive help file.

The user interface is clear and simple to use.

Several configuration options that allow you to customise DocSmartz – PDF to Word Converter.

Cons

There is a utility to extract any image from PDF files. https://lilirire.weebly.com

6add127376 marald

10. 20 May, 2022 / 12:57 pm

This software supports either the Office 2007 MS Office Open XML Password Recovery or the Office 2003 MS Office Open XML Password Recovery. you can run this utility either offline or online.
    The use of two different formats of password recovery is essential because there will be a great difference in the logins that can be performed after recovery has been completed. After you configure the software, it will ask you how many character it is to block when using the brute-force attack. The more characters you block, http://stazionedellarte.com/?URL=https://reiferingcorn.weebly.com

6add127376 volsale

11. 20 May, 2022 / 1:47 pm

—————————————————————————————
    What’s New
    Version 1.2
    • Converted in the new RK3188 environment
    —————————————————————————————
    Version 1.1
    • Minor UI improvements
    Version 1.0
    • Initial release.Q:

Boost shared pointer does not add reference counter for polymorphic class

I need to write my own allocator. I need to use custom reference counting and I need polymorphism of allocations. So I need polymorphic allocator that can http://www.merkinvestments.com/enter/?url=https://odosifdraw.weebly.com

6add127376 mycagla

12. 20 May, 2022 / 2:43 pm

tourist> is one of the few reasons that i can think
    of to come to ireland

——
    joe_the_user
    Staggering amount of negativity in this post.

I actually don’t think it’s a “tragedy”. Ireland has the opportunity to create
    a new economy based off tourism. One that doesn’t include oil extraction,
    mining, and the corporate-bureaucratic sucks that characterize the current
    economy and https://cherazacus.weebly.com

6add127376 yuleull

13. 20 May, 2022 / 3:12 pm

But some features are missing so customization options could be better.
    ChiliSoft has released an update to its ChiliSource SSL VPN for Microsoft Windows 5.
    It introduces an automatic load balancing that allows you to distribute your traffic among virtual servers. It’s quite convenient when you run more than one virtual server on your PC and you need to evenly distribute the traffic over them.
    You can select from CPU selection methods, load distribution ratios or both and no matter what option you choose, it’s effectively https://cms.oeav-events.at/_wGlobal/nessyEDVapps/layout/fancybox.php?link=https://ogstopdownphu.weebly.com

6add127376 esmfer

14. 20 May, 2022 / 3:33 pm

In most cases, the captured screenshots are closely related to commercial software, but this time they did not come from commercial software. This demo has been made using Genuine Windows Forms Recorder and the built in test application. Therefore, the screenshots are 100% genuine and also matched to the same software license as the download package.
    Not all states have been tested for all file formats. Therefore, it is important to use caution when installing anything other than images and icons, since you can easily expect https://rectilonciou.weebly.com

6add127376 leacmai

15. 20 May, 2022 / 10:29 pm

8 Matreya

Matreya is a website analytics software and offers insights into your site’s visitor data and behavior through graphs, reports and personalized emails. It is widely used by website owners, webmasters, SEO specialists and web agencies. It is also pretty secure since it does not store any of your sensitive user information.
    It includes a wide array of features like traffic tracking, user behavior analysis and much more. It is extremely simple to use and also offers 24/7 https://wozyzy.com/upload/files/2022/05/Fvpdm3qSQVCNge3Ypmvj_19_db84353b8be93f820d271d876de8a326_file.pdf 05e1106874 edvegi

16. 1 June, 2022 / 3:21 am

hi!,I really like your writing very much! proportion we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look ahead to see you.
    It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.