Author Spotlight: Elizabeth Castillo

Elizabeth Castillo in black shirt and red hair

Elizabeth M Castillo is a British-Mauritian poet, writer, indie-press promoter. She lives in Paris with her family and two cats, where she writes a variety of different things under a variety of pen names. In her writing, Elizabeth explores themes of race & ethnicity, motherhood, womanhood, language, love, loss and grief, and a touch of magical realism. She has words in, or upcoming in Selcouth Station Press, Pollux Journal, Revista Purgante, Lanke Review, Streetcake Magazine, Fevers of the Mind Press, Melbourne Culture Corner, Epoch Press, among others. Her bilingual, debut collection “Cajoncito: Poems on Love, Loss, y Otras Locuras” is out 2021. You can connect with her on Twitter and IG at @EMCWritesPoetry. Her piece can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

Why do you write Poetry, and do you explore other genres in your work?

That’s a really interesting question, and a hard one to answer without sounding too pretentious, but I’ll try my best! Poetry has always been a sort of therapy for me, ever since I was a child I would write my frustrations, hurts, questions for the universe out, usually in rhyming form. I left poetry for a while, focused on writing children’s lit and fiction, but it came crashing back into my life just over a year ago. I went through some heavy things and the only way to exorcise them from my system was to get them out in verse.

During the pandemic, I also discovered the online poetry community and began consuming more of the work that was out there. I discovered all sorts of writing, some in genres I had honestly never heard of, and it’s been such a delicious experience! I feel that my own poetry has grown and matured for it, as I now find myself writing further beyond myself, about tensions and battles that I have experienced, but are not solely mine. It’s a gratifying feeling, knowing that my words are stretching out further as I grow as a writer.

I also write fiction, non-fiction, interviews, and memoir, and I hope to try my hand at essays soon. I have two other pen-names under which I write romance and period retellings, and children’s literature respectively.

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

I didn’t actually, and I don’t often like writing to a prompt or theme. It just so happened that I kept seeing a submissions call for roots-themed work from Epoch and another, very well-known publication and I thought “why not?”

The idea for my poem “Dig” was clear from the beginning- I wanted to take the reader on a journey with me to explore my background. Originally I had thought to make it more about my Mauritian ancestry, but the poem had other ideas and ended up coming out as more of an intimate, personal excavation of the past than I expected.

Visually I knew I wanted the piece to be burrowing downwards, as we travelled deeper and deeper into the earth; into the past, and seeing it in print I think it worked out quite well!

What is the biggest challenge when writing Poetry?

I find writing formally structured poetry challenging, mostly because I know nothing about it. I do think it would be beneficial to study and experiment with more different genres of poetry, but I always find there are so many pressing things I need to write about, so formalist poetry always gets pushed to the back burner!

Otherwise, I don’t find writing poetry particularly challenging, probably because it still feels like a personal exercise to me. Anything can be a poem. Poetry is everywhere. Writing a good poem, that says something to, and about the world… now that’s another matter altogether!

Can I say my entire home? My husband and I were fortunate enough to be in a position to buy our house two years ago, and completely gutted and redid the interiors. We bought the house with very specific life goals in mind- a desire to homeschool, to entertain, to offer a safe and relaxing place for all those who come to stay. We’ve filled it with things we love- plants, cats, bits, and pieces we’ve picked up over the years. There’s part of the hull of a 747 hanging in my entrance, several repurposed lamps, and lots of textiles from central and east Africa, India, and Latin America. Our home evolves as we do, and that’s exactly as it should be.

1. 16 March, 2022 / 7:19 pm

How do I know if my blogs are being seen by others?

2. 25 March, 2022 / 11:51 pm

Okay so I’m to write a creative writing essay on my own personal utopia and what i would like it to be like and all that. I’m having issues starting though. I can’t seem to come up with a good introduction that would lead to my thesis—which i don’t even have..

3. 20 May, 2022 / 9:01 am

We recommend this program to those who want to record video from their webcam without investing in the advanced software that works with specific webcams and laptops.
    If your webcam is supported by this app, go ahead and use it for recording web videos.
    System Requirements
    In order for the app to run, your PC has to meet the following requirements:
    • Windows 7 or higher
    • 1 GB of RAM
    • 1 GB of free disk space
    • 3 GB of disk space if you https://sitamifort.weebly.com

6add127376 jarrwaka

4. 20 May, 2022 / 11:47 am

Phone Area Code, City, Postal Code, and Province/State are essential information for business owners and in everyday life. Apart from that, Primary Contacts and Location usually require the existence of Residential Address or Post Office Box number or PO Box number. If you own a business and you are looking for a Postal, ZIP code, postal code alternative, Postal code database, postal zone, business address, postal office location, or other address geographical code information, then this database is for you. https://vestwednici.weebly.com

6add127376 halconn

5. 20 May, 2022 / 12:54 pm

How to Check for Incompatibilities (KB943144)

Rollup 2 SP2 for Windows Vista – This update improves the visibility of
    network-based security resources to help you more quickly identify
    and resolve network-based security issues. The following issues
    have been fixed:

Error 8062n occurred if a Group Policy setting did not properly
    expire the group policy on its own or had the expiration set too early.
    This update fixes the https://damdetire.weebly.com

6add127376 nikwend

6. 20 May, 2022 / 1:45 pm

You can get the software at a one-time cost of $39.99 or if you prefer, you can contact the manufacturer and subscribe to their license key service for further prices.

Convert “Outlook MBOX” to PST for free
    1. How can i convert my mbox to pst
    2. Convert Outlook 2010 MBOX to PST
    3. How to Convert Outlook 2010 MBOX files into PST
    4. How to convert outlook 2010 MBOX to PST https://reisebuero-busse.de/content?url=https://vaiprovhighten.weebly.com

6add127376 harquit

7. 20 May, 2022 / 2:10 pm

for Midpoints
    Please report any observed and/or puzzling midpoint anomalies to me here.

Web Site in Eclipse

Tatyana Vandrovich writes:Hello. I am looking for a way to co-ordinate a Google calendar event under eclipse. I would appreciate a link to a set of instructions on how I can create a Google calendar event under eclipse.

“The Sea Around Us” by Rachel Carson

“The Sea Around Us” by Rachel Carson is http://www.fusion-tour.ru/bitrix/rk.php?goto=https://maredisu.weebly.com

6add127376 ranulf

8. 20 May, 2022 / 2:40 pm

History
    ExClipBoard comes packed with several handy features for handling images copied to the clipboard, and is suitable especially for less experienced users. It can bring some useful tools to your hand even if your only goal is to make some modifications to the image at hand. It can take screenshots of the entire desktop or web page, including sections and the visible design elements http://www.ocbin.com/out.php?url=https://myecreatwaything.weebly.com

6add127376 laurxym

9. 20 May, 2022 / 3:08 pm

The LightScribe, Windows Public SDK is available free of charge. The LightScribe, Windows Software is available as a free download from this site.”

From their website:

“I have been very happy with the HP LightScribe software. It is easy to use; intuitive; and very effective. It’s also a pleasure to work with. I love it”

Vern L. Ingram, Manager of Sales & Operations, VPI, https://guangdareri.weebly.com

6add127376 restvlad

10. 20 May, 2022 / 3:48 pm

Social Navigator on Windows and Mac is also compatible with a wide range of mobile devices running multiple operating systems including iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc.

Social Navigator is Free to download and offers the most comprehensive social networking features available. Features include social search, full news feed for only the most popular Social Networking sites, Digg, StumbleUpon, Feeds, blogs, groups, tag clouds, group postings, buddy lists, blog posting, profile search, https://astronaccishop.com/?URL=https://proxeseccer.weebly.com

6add127376 cherdead

11. 20 May, 2022 / 10:59 pm

Read more about Yara’s functionalities, here.Q:

Connect to remote linux machine through GUI

I have a linux machine on the net with different applications running on it, I want to know if there is a chance to connect to that machine through my main pc’s GUI (Lubuntu 18.04), and run some kind of terminal application on that remote machine to run command-line based tasks (sshd and console of that machine are unreachable). I use https://beta.pinoysg.net/upload/files/2022/05/iLsWkvaTTypXiGZGOuvi_19_2b0a825696817d92a6e2188b5966d986_file.pdf 05e1106874 analar

12. 21 May, 2022 / 12:02 am

For example, you may create a timer for each document with “find” keyword, start the timer when you open that document and stop it when you close the document.
    The result is a small report of the time spend to find “find” existing files.

Project Timers can be installed in Add or Remove Programs along with files:

Project Timer is portable and runs from a flash storage device such as a USB key or memory stick.

It tries to be more https://talkotive.com/upload/files/2022/05/dXDVEwyCJCMLDsXL3WdO_19_99dd51b49bd0722c2039353ef0bf7f6b_file.pdf 05e1106874 leevsobe

13. 21 May, 2022 / 1:11 am

You can’t, however, change the data based on file type automatically, as it involves additional steps, but at least you always have the freedom of doing everything manually, no matter how many files you have to deal with.

A:

Use this tool to convert CSV to XLS

It will convert multiple files with a few mouse clicks

Terminator 2 Car Complete Walkaround https://wakelet.com/wake/bLaDOeawOI57pMBV8tixV 8cee70152a burgid