Author Spotlight: Brittany Ackerman

Brittany Ackerman is a writer from Riverdale, New York.  Her debut novel, The Brittanys, was published with Vintage in June of 2021.  She lives in Los Angeles. Her piece, “blonde”, can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

I started keeping a diary when I was very young, after watching the movie Harriet the Spy (it aged well, by the way, and still holds up!).  I loved the idea of documenting everything that was happening around me and trying to better people by means of writing about them.  One of the things I’ve come to find since then is that I actually tend to learn mostly about myself through my writing.  I always joke that my CNF is “about my family, but actually is really just about me.”  Even in my fiction, while every character I write is some amalgamation of a person I’ve known, it’s also a projection of myself, or something I’m lacking, or something I wish I’d done or handled better.  It’s my way of re-writing my past, my past selves, no matter what form or genre I write in.  I’ve always enjoyed the freedom of creation that happens in creative writing and the self-expression that leads to a greater understanding of how the world expresses itself to me.

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

Back in the summer of 2019, I had taken a nonfiction class at UCLA’s Extension program.  One of our writing prompts was “What does your hair say about you?”  I immediately thought of my mom and her condition and wanted to find a way to tie that into the plight of growing up and dying my hair blonde though the years.  I felt that the two ideas could lyric together and create a sort of manifesto about women and hair and generational trauma, etc.  I had also just finished a book tour for my first book, a collection of essays titled The Perpetual Motion Machine (Red Hen Press 2018), and wanted to write about that experience as well, how the traveling and all the events and keeping up appearances affected me both positively and negatively.  So, I’d already written this draft when I saw the call for pieces about “Roots” and felt that my work fit into this theme because of its literal meaning as well as metaphorically.  The literal roots of female genealogy and the roots of our hair as the color grows out over time mixed with the metaphorical roots of the relationship between mothers and daughters, the roots we plant in the craft of writing, how the work is rooted in pain, in love.

The biggest challenge can be translating my idea for a piece into the appropriate form.  I get ideas for pieces all the time—memories that come into view, things I’m working out in therapy, moments in time that I can’t get out of my head once they enter my brain.  But it’s often difficult for me to find a structure for the words.  I love the David Lynch quote about ideas, “Ideas are like fish.  If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water.  But if you want to catch the big fish, you’ve got to go deeper.  Down deep, the fish are more powerful and more pure. They’re huge and abstract.  And they’re very beautiful.”  Sometimes the idea I’m working with is too small, too simple, and I have to “go deeper” in order to let it expand and grow into its truest form.  It’s our task as writers to take our ideas and cultivate them into something meaningful.  David Lynch also says that we don’t make the fish, but as artists, it’s our job to catch the fish.  I think another challenge as a writer is to be open, at all times, to the possibility of story.

Going to cheat here because I have a few, and they were all wedding gifts.  First, from a family friend, Bonnie Gowing, a painting of our flower arrangement from our engagement party.  Second, a black and white photograph from our dear friend Kai Saul.  Last, a LEGO portrait of my husband, Carl, and I on our wedding day to commemorate our indestructible love.

(I’d also be remiss not to share the one year paper anniversary gift I gave my husband—a framed print of David Lynch smoking.)

1. 6 March, 2022 / 12:50 am

silicone male sex doll My family every time say that I am killing my time here at net, but I know I am getting experience everyday by reading such nice articles.

2. 6 March, 2022 / 10:54 pm

I’m now not positive where you are getting your information, however great topic. I needs to spend some time finding out more or figuring out more. Sex Doll Blog

3. 12 March, 2022 / 5:28 am

ラブドール 上半身 こんにちは、私はあなたの投稿をすべて読むのを楽しんでいます。私はあなたをサポートするために少しコメントを書きたいと思いました。ダッチワイフは最高の状態を提供します。あなたはいつでもあなたが望むようにそして技術的に実行可能な限り彼女とセックスをすることができます。また、ラブドールで罰せられるのを避けることもできます-必要に応じて-それ以

4. 13 March, 2022 / 10:45 pm

qita doll Customer Sex Doll Pictures – Dana – 157 CM | 5′ 2″ – B CUP – WM DOLL

5. 10 May, 2022 / 11:34 am

Thank you for every one of your efforts on this blog. My mum really loves setting aside time for investigation and it is easy to understand why.

6. 14 May, 2022 / 6:34 pm

sex doll The 5 recordings of the Sex Doll Sarah Sex Dolls Are Not just Sexual Partners Success story for a high fashion model Full Size Sex Doll Life Size Hot Dolls

7. 20 May, 2022 / 12:54 pm

Dev-C++ 9.0
    Programming the 16-bit PC is a continuously evolving process. Computer aided
    programming has a distinctive advantage
    in this regard. For this reason,
    Dev-C++ is usually considered as the
    most complete, user-friendly and efficient
    compiling tool for 16-bit systems. In
    its lastest version, Dev-C++ 9.0,
    it has become even more complete
    and user-friendly.
    Among https://bugcrowd.com/external_redirect?site=https://riafunchanse.weebly.com

6add127376 daegfayr

8. 20 May, 2022 / 1:42 pm

English Text-To-Voice MT can be a brilliant help in training courses if you use it correctly. The command line is minimalistic, so it is safe to say that this application is definitely not for those looking to access advanced and comprehensive features. If you plan on adding this application to your personal library, it is also useful to know the license terms, since you may want to review the software’s end-user agreement before downloading it. On a positive note, the application can https://areromco.weebly.com

6add127376 eilhas

9. 20 May, 2022 / 2:09 pm

is required.
    ■ Javascript enabled in your browser.
    ■ Internet connection
    ■ The proper users and cookies must be installed on your PC.
    Important Note:
    This program was written in Delphi but you can run this project on any Windows platform.
    ReadLottoMonitor.cpp, ReadLottoMonitor.h file are written for Visual Studio++ and for Delphi.
    Http.cpp and Http.h are written for PHP.
    Best http://www.holidayhillinnandsuites.com/redirect.php?url=https://viehydponetw.weebly.com

6add127376 jarkac

10. 20 May, 2022 / 2:38 pm

Google Translate API uses a Web Service interface that submits the requests in JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) format to the Google Language API.
    To use this API, you must have the Google API Client Libraries with the Google JAR.
    The Google JAR is a Java archive file that can be downloaded for free from the Google Developers Console.
    The Google Translate API uses the user to obtain the maximum response time and provide better results.
    Since it is a API http://life-worldwide.org/?URL=https://traslepsracthei.weebly.com

6add127376 wiktmarj

11. 20 May, 2022 / 3:08 pm

In order to use that, it is necessary to opt in for the full installation of Office 42.
    Nevertheless, the latter can prove a very useful tool whenever the magnitude of data that you have to transfer is below or on the current free limits. Nonetheless, if you need a handy word processor, this software cannot be neglected.
    Author Bio

Jason Bourque

Jason Bourque is a web designer, developer, geek, lover of technology, gadget collector. He is currently trying to http://www.mobilepcworld.net/?URL=https://precgasdili.weebly.com

6add127376 leereil

12. 20 May, 2022 / 3:28 pm

The themes that can be used in the game’s 16 achievements follow after this introduction.

Details

Requirement

Description

Astronut

Make it to the Universe

Collect 400 star shards in the game by randomly encountering them

Tip

You can collect these stars by just exploring the game world. You don’t have to collect them through a specific part of the game.

Astronut

Make it to the Universe

Collect https://estaifiepres.weebly.com

6add127376 flisha

13. 17 June, 2022 / 8:49 am

I regard something truly interesting about your site so I bookmarked .

14. 17 June, 2022 / 8:56 am

This is my first time visit at here and i am genuinely happy to read all at alone place.