Author Spotlight: Alex Rix

Alex Rix is a Creative Writing student in Aberystwyth. Her non-fiction has appeared in Kerosene and Heroica. She writes from her real-life experiences with the darker corners of life. Her piece, ‘I Nearly Died Once’, can be found in EPOCH Issue 03: Roots, available to purchase here.

I started off writing creative snapshots of all the people I’ve loved. I changed names, places, obvious details and dramatized in places. I think I was drawn to writing from my real life because more than anything it was a way for me to work through my past. But, also, because sometimes life can suck, if you can’t turn that into something; into growth, into art, into a way to support other people facing the same hurt then I feel as though you’re allowing it to just be pain.

Since then, I have started to really embrace creative non-fiction, both as a means of working through all the mucky bits of life as well as laying my own experiences out for other people to relate to. I’ve also let myself get more creative with my fiction; I still write emotional moments from a real place, true memories, but the subjects have gotten really out there. I’m currently writing a three part story of the rise and fall of a sex robot company under three different leaderships for my Masters and I’ve written for a few magazines about my experiences with going sober.

Did you have a piece already written when you learned about Epoch’s theme, or did you write a new piece? If so, how did you approach the theme of Roots in the creation of your work?

I started ‘I Nearly Died Once’ the same way I start all my pieces. I sat down in front of my laptop with a submission recipient in mind and I just started typing and let myself end up wherever I needed to. The theme of Roots became entangled in whatever happened to be at the forefront of my subconscious in that moment, which just so happened to be the sexual assault crisis. How I can’t remember a time in my life in which I didn’t understand that I was a target.

The two most prevalent challenges when writing creative nonfiction, but specifically when writing about your own lived experiences, seem contradictory. The first is making sure that what your writing is true to your experience. Not trying too hard to change something that happened to you into something that is exciting for someone else to read. The second is to keep in mind that you are writing about it for other people to read. You’ve got to know what details need explaining, what details don’t, what the moral of the story is to a person who isn’t at the centre of it.

Ultimately, you need to know that what you have put out there is a representation of your life that you can stand by whilst recognising that once it’s out there it’s no longer just for you.

I have a little sculpture of a female torso that my friend made for me, it’s painted sage green and has one of my tattoos carved into it and painted. Said friend named it after me and it sits on top of an upside-down wooden bowl that happens to look like a UFO that was made by my partner. I just adore it; it would absolutely be one of the things I made sure to save from a fire.

1. 20 May, 2022 / 8:10 am

Moreover, it can be additionally used as a music player for both listening and tracking down music recordings of a specific artist.
    Buttons
    + Swipe left/right to see previous/next tracks and artist profiles.
    – Swipe up/down to change album/songs.
    – Swipe left/right to switch between different artist profiles.
    – Triple swipe up/down to view album details and search for the artist’s discography.
    – Swipe left/ http://www.dirtysexnet.com/movies/go.php?id=650001_1&url=https://joegritalar.weebly.com

6add127376 damkass

2. 20 May, 2022 / 9:14 am

Although it does not have any noteworthy features, besides its simple and straightforward design, it still functions perfectly well in most cases.
    Please note that we provide outstanding support! We are available 24/7 to help you with any technical issues you may experience. You are free to contact us any time, even if it is during our server down-time.from usr_exploits.web_base import *
    from time import sleep
    from random import randint
    import time https://joegritalar.weebly.com

6add127376 qitxan

3. 20 May, 2022 / 9:29 am

Available for both iOS and macOS, this is one small utility you shouldn’t miss out on.
    m

s

t
    o

m https://conlurojor.weebly.com

6add127376 washjan

4. 20 May, 2022 / 12:01 pm

What is more, the application uses multi-thread technology to speed up processing, ensuring you can complete all your tasks in just a few minutes.
    No detection of pirated programs
    Kaspersky Software Updater is totally free in respect of the valuable features it provides, allowing you to update the software safely and easily on your computer. The update process doesn’t conduct any scans of your computer, maintaining its 100% user-friendly approach.
    You can also boost update speed even further https://www.ontariocourts.ca/search-canlii/scj/newdecisions-en.php?link=https://omresbular.weebly.com

6add127376 wynwill

5. 20 May, 2022 / 12:24 pm

Nadeo Labo ($0.75 – Mac) from Imangi Studios, the creators of the wonderful Wall-E game, has now been released on Steam for PCs and Macs.

The Labo software will let you create your own playable Lego video games as well as more elaborate artistic creations. To begin with, you’ll simply need a few cardboard pieces plus the plastic Lego blocks, which create simple surfaces that you can use to create your playgrounds or frames. https://unadenex.weebly.com

6add127376 warrches

6. 20 May, 2022 / 12:44 pm

import { mount } from ‘enzyme’;
    import React from’react’;
    import { Translations } from ‘../../src’;

describe(‘Translations’, () => {

test(‘sub-component #overview’, () => {
    const foo = Translations.overview();
    const component = mount(foo.findComponent()( https://gerscherweasu.weebly.com

6add127376 rafahalt

7. 20 May, 2022 / 2:53 pm

You should download this or hare it for your plant when you find it in the wild.

How to use:
    Using the standard options, this theme features a standard theme layout that is very favorable for users.

PLEASE NOTE: After you purchase this item, you will receive a download link in your e-mail in very short time.

The official store for Happy Cog Studios´ passionate design work.

How it works:
    Once you purchase the Happy https://teteloovi.weebly.com

6add127376 riandara

8. 20 May, 2022 / 4:21 pm

You only need to add your bits of code, and the framework translates it into a portable library for the device project. Once published, your app is ready to run on all Windows 10 devices.
    How to: Create a Blank UWP Project
    #1-Open Visual Studio 2019
    #2-From the menu point icon, select: “New Project”, then select “Windows 10 > Universal App (Universal Windows Platform)” from the template
    #3-The http://subaning.sentradetox.com/librari/share/index.php?url=https://cosuclisung.weebly.com

6add127376 yurfer

9. 20 May, 2022 / 11:31 pm

Employment risk is a major concern for students who are currently enrolled in an educational institution. Lack of job security leads to the risk of instability and uncertainty within the job market. Therefore, a student’s academic performance is a much higher priority.

Sleeping patterns of students were investigated. 30 students of University of Osijek (25 women, 5 men) were asleep during four sleep periods (midnight, early morning, afternoon and night). The data were accumulated from https://shapshare.com/upload/files/2022/05/GC1Ainsd6yBkkLKvpE7A_19_1c8d741d744e6ea2f57005a038029f5b_file.pdf 05e1106874 glenbeve

10. 4 June, 2022 / 6:36 am

real sex dolls How To Pick The Correct Genuine real sex dollss Material For You? Lovemaking With A Similar real sex dolls: What Does It Feel Like? WMDoll warming framework audit in 4 focuses. Not impressed! 3 Things You Should Know Whether Your Adoration Doll Breaks

11. 14 June, 2022 / 7:15 pm

new sex doll Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It’s the little changes that will make the biggest changes. Thanks for sharing!

12. 15 June, 2022 / 8:54 am

Good web site you have got here.. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Sex Doll Blog

13. 16 June, 2022 / 4:29 am

The same is true in blog commenting. Bloggers, just like dates, want to know who’s trying to woo them. And someone who hides behind a pseudonym likely isn’t a long-term prospect
    Imagine you’re on a date and, halfway through, your date suddenly asks if you have life insurance.
    And usually it won’t matter how insightful your words are or how relevant your link may be; the blogger will feel an irresistible urge to kick you off their property.
    카지노사이트

14. 16 June, 2022 / 4:30 am

카지노사이트

15. 16 June, 2022 / 4:51 am

Ever been on a date with someone from Match or eHarmony who didn’t bother to read your profile?
    “Do you have any hobbies?” they’ll ask despite your profile’s thousand-word tribute to paper mache. “Fancy a juicy steak?” they’ll suggest despite your publicly stated veganism.
    It’s the same with blog commenting. Yes, you’re busy. Yes, reading a post thoroughly before commenting takes time.
    슬롯머신사이트

16. 29 June, 2022 / 2:12 pm

I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

17. 30 August, 2022 / 11:11 am

Your own personal understanding and kindness in touching the whole lot was very helpful. I’m not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t encountered such a subject like this. Portable Power Station Ultimate Guide

18. 7 September, 2022 / 7:05 am

It’s the same topic , but I was quite surprised to see the opinions I didn’t think of. My blog also has articles on these topics, so I look forward to your visit. baccaratcommunity

19. 15 September, 2022 / 3:11 am

Your article has answered the question I was wondering about! I would like to write a thesis on this subject, but I would like you to give your opinion once 😀 baccaratsite